Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4k Stuttering on 2015 Android TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2015 Sony Android TV.  It's ARMv7 and running Kodi 17.6.

I've tested HEVC/4k/HDR demos from Sony and LG as well as some 4k movie clips.
Sony's own video app plays these videos smoothly.  VLC Media Player plays them flawlessly as well.

Kodi is just a stutter and hitch fest.  Checking CPU usage I see it frequently max out.

I've Googled up numerous suggestions, but nothing really explains why a program as mature as Kodi should have this problem.
And yes, hardware decoding is definitely enabled.

I'm open to suggestions.  Kodi from a feature standpoint is superior and my preferred player, but for now, only up to 1080p.
Kodi 17.6 does not have any HDR functionality.
And just maybe, your TV's GPU is not up to the task of displaying high-bitrated 4K HEVC HDR videos properly?

Otherwise, provide a debug log (wiki) for more internal details.
(2018-08-06, 12:41)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi 17.6 does not have any HDR functionality.
And just maybe, your TV's GPU is not up to the task of displaying high-bitrated 4K HEVC HDR videos properly?

Otherwise, provide a debug log (wiki) for more internal details.
 As stated above, the TV is just fine at displaying the content, just not via Kodi.

I guess you would know that  Kodi doesn't have HDR functionality, but the TV was definitely dropping into HDR mode and the image looked fine, if choppy.
Perhaps it's more correct to say that Kodi doesn't support HDR well?  I guess there is no proper decoding of it so the CPU does all the work?

I suppose if that's the case, there's nothing further to do about it.  Thank you, I'll just have to use other players until Kodi catches up.

Edit: Tested Kodi v18.0 Alpha 1.  With "Sync Playback to Display" to OFF, CPU utilization floats between 80-90% and plays the LG Chess demo smoothly.
The Sony Camping demo works great too, but can only be played via memory stick.  IIRC I've never gotten that to play via network with anything.
Improvements in Leia really help performance.  (I've also noticed that it fixes a bug in v17 where the TV's screensaver fully stops a paused video.  It now remains paused.)