Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] No output when more than 2 audio cahnnels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I run kodi on a Intel Nuc, under LibreElec.

The audio output is configured so kodi decodes audio streams and output 4.1 channels, through the HDMI output. All was working fine until last week. I shutdown everything before I left, and when I returned and restarted everything, no audio at all.

I check to see if it was an amplifier problem, but, no, it was kodi not sending anything. I upgraded LibreElec (8.24 -> 8.25), and after reboot, audio worked again. I though a param was lost during the shutdown or so...

But last night, I tried to play a multi-channel movie (DTS): no sound! If I configure the output to limit to 2 channels, it works. But as soon as I have more than 2 channels, nothing. I tried to re-enable the audio passthru: same, no audio when playing the movie (in any case, I see the PCM label blinking on the amplifier, so no stream at all). But all works fine on music, and I can ear the UI sounds. I tried to change a lot of params, without any success.

Any idea what happens? Software? Hardware? I'm puzzled...

Thanks,
In which order do you turn on your devices?

I´m kind of guessing, but let´s assume you do the following:

1. turn on HTPC
2. turn on TV
3. turn on AVR

If you turn on devices in that order, it might be the case that there is no proper HDMI handshake and the HTPC can´t read EDID informations given by the connected devices (because they are still turned off). Please try turning on the devices in the following order:

1. turn on TV (wait until it´s up)
2. turn on AVR
3. turn on HTPC

Then check if everything works. If so (please be sure that everything works!!!!), you can ssh in and enter the command: getedid create

That command will dump the EDID informations and hardcode them into a specific file LibreELEC will read from at boot. So your device "thinks" there´s always a monitor which delivers the specific EDID info even it´s not.

That does not mean, you don´t need to connect a monitor to the NUC! A disconnected monitor (no HDMI cable) is different from a monitor which is turned off Wink
Thanks for your answer. But I have more questions:

First, what EDID has to do with audio? I though it was only to set correct video timings.
Second, even if it was related, why does it work with 2 channels, and not with more?
Third, I already dumped the EDID infos, and I force all outputs (I have 2 hdmi, one going to the HTPC, and then to a monitor, second one going to a beamer; I did that to force the same resolution on both outputs, and I also force the output even if there is nothing connected - I don't think getedid, which I didn't know, can do that).
Last, all was working fine before I switch off last week. And I already had power loss, which switched off things in a much more brutal way, without issue.
Ok, it was a double hardware problem: faulty cable, *and* buggy HDMI input :o(