Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote control assignment for "Toggle Subtitle" (Letter T on keyboard)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

I was wondering if there is no kodi remote control keymap for "Toggle Subtitle" (Letter T on keyboard) for enabling/disabling subtitles with one click?

I have found the "ShowSubtitles" function, which switches through all subtitles and then to disabled,
but most of my files have a lot of subtitles, so this is time consuming and uncomfortable - and if you accidently hop over "disabled" you have the round trip again...

Maybe a solution will be to add the Letter 'T' to the remote command, but I can't get it working in remote.xml

thanks in advance for any hint!

best regards
t' is mapped to  'ShowSubtitles'
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...d.xml#L361

that's the action. you can map a remote key to the same *action*, you don't map keys to keys. and it will behave the same. by default the subtitle button on a remote is mapped to 'NextSubtitle'.

so i'm confused what your problem is?
~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/Keymap.xml:
Code:
<keymap>
    <FullscreenVideo>
        <remote>
            <subtitle>ShowSubtitles</subtitle>
        </remote>
    </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

You can remap default subtitle button from remote.
Hey guys,

thanks for the quick answers.

These two functions seem to be slightly different:

If I map the default subtitle button to the remote like you stated with
<subtitle>ShowSubtitles</subtitle>
then every button press CHANGES the subtitle language - like the letter 'L' (NextSubtitle) does - and if all are through, subtitles are disabled.
So if I have a video with e.g. 10 subtitle tracks I have to press the button 9 times to disable subtitles.
And If I am impatient (because I do not know the number of subtitles by heart) and therefore pressing the keys fast,
it likely happens that I press the key 9+1 times - and I have to do the whole carousel again.

If I press the key 'T' (ShowSubtitle) on the keyboard, subtitles get IMMEDIATELY disabled, and pressing again enables the last one used.
So I have to press the key only ONCE to disabled subtitles.

I tried mapping the <subtitle> to both of them, but it makes no difference - I only get the "nextSubtitle" on remote.
I am using Kodi 17.3-r1, mapping in my case happens in keymaps/remote.xml and is between the global-tags instead of the FullScreenVideo-tags, but this shouldn't make any difference I think.

thank you all

best regards!
I'd say the easiest way would be to install the keymap editor and map 'T' to a key of preference on your remote.
Alright, got it figured out.

It DOES make a difference in which section it is.

Including subtitle-tags inside the FullscreenVideo-section works as expected,
but does not work inside the global section.

thanks to all