Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this supposed to work??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm need/want to keep my movies in native DVD format (menus and all).

This works fine when viewing from my PC running windows.

But when I try to view them from my FireStick (android, and over wireless) nothing is recognized by Kodi.

Am I missing something simple??

Please don't advise that I use MKV or some such.  I have hundreds to DVD's that would need to be converted.   8-(

Thanks and Cheers.
Well, I've learned two things.....  I can't access my movies on a hard drive attached to my router via USB.  I have to run Kodi SERVER on a PC and then access from a firestick running Kodi as a client.

Seems nuts to me;  the router puts out DLNA and Kodi accepts them (supposedly on both points) so why do I have to do it the "kludge" way.

Also, be aware that not just any old router will work.  It needs a fast one.
(Old) routers are usually using only SMBv1 for a file protocol, which is a highly insecure protocol (google for "WannaCry") and already superseded by SMBv2+ versions. Kodi defaults to SMBv2 and up, so that may be a reason.
(2018-08-17, 19:37)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ](Old) routers are usually using only SMBv1 for a file protocol, which is a highly insecure protocol (google for "WannaCry") and already superseded by SMBv2+ versions. Kodi defaults to SMBv2 and up, so that may be a reason.
 Good Info......  Thanks
(2018-08-17, 19:37)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ](Old) routers are usually using only SMBv1 for a file protocol, which is a highly insecure protocol (google for "WannaCry") and already superseded by SMBv2+ versions. Kodi defaults to SMBv2 and up, so that may be a reason.
 Also, my router WAS mis-configured so I'm now able to plug the USB3 drive directly into the router.