Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi will not load in an upgraded Kodibuntu 18.04.1 box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

So I decided to upgrade from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 today and Im already regretting it.

- Upgrade went fine, installed all the packages and the nvidia driver.
- Upgraded to latest release from Kodi PPA
- Lightdm settings are unchanged

Kodi will no longer auto load, when I invoke it from the CLI i get:

$ kodi
ALSA lib conf.c:3523Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495Sadsnd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi_formatted:AES0=0x04,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x00
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

All X dependencies are met, X is up and running yet all I get on my screen is a blinking cursor.

I found this searching on Google, but it hasn't helped so far - the grub stuff mentioned does not make sense to me

https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/ubuntu...u-systems/

Where can I look for logs that will give me useful hints? Any help will be appreciated
is X running before you try to start kodi? It has to unless you installed kodi-gbm from the nightly ppa.
For a quick test login to a desktop and run kodi --debug from a cli
I figured it out, I needed the nvidia-340 driver for my old-ish GPU instead of the newer nvidia-390 version.

X was falling back to Nouveau and didn't load as expected.

Got rid of the newer Nvidia and Nouveau drivers, fell back to version 340. All good now, thanks