Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wayland gnome-shell segfault with Kodi and display turned off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi works fine on Ubuntu 18.04 and gnome-shell (ubuntu).

Kodi and Wayland appear to work fairly well, however don't turn your display off while Kodi is running. If you do, syslog will show a gnome-shell segfault and your session will be killed. Prior to this syslog shows some other gnome errors, but I don't know if they are related. I am reported the problem to Ubuntu as bug 1789962. Hopefully they will have some ideas.

Using Kodi 18 Beta 1.
Kodi is not meant to run without display.
There are several reasons to run kodi with the display turned off, I do that pretty often
Yes, I frequently (several times a day) turn off my display with Kodi left up without any issues (on X, that is).
I just said: Kodi is not meant to run without display. There is no code that copes with that. I use the drm_kms_helper workaround for years, but this does not change the fact. kodi's GBM flavor is the first that has some kind of rendernode rendering when display goes off.
I can see video requiring DRM would prevent Kodi from continuing to play when there is no DRM capable display attached. I would prefer that Kodi just stop playing the video and have a sensible message explaining why. I have no idea if this is possible.

Still, should the entire gnome session crash? Seems that whatever Kodi does in response to this condition that there is a gnome/wayland bug.
Gnome / wayland should never crash. We are not even a drm master - the crash alone is a sever compositor bug.

@yol any idea here?

@fbacher time to post crashlog and Debug Log
My original Ubuntu .crash file for kodi-wayland is at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u5og01jxm9h97...crash?dl=0
I can reproduce and upload kodi.log if you like.