Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Shield TV - Constant buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im running into an issue on my Shield TV with Kodi that i cant seem to figure out. Whenever we are streaming content it will play for a few minutes then stop for a few minutes then resume, then repeat constantly. Sometimes it says cache in the corner and sometimes it doesn't. I am pulling data from a MySQL db but i wouldnt expect that would cause the slowdown. If i get tired of the buffering and switch to Plex it streams without any issue. In Plex i have it sent to play content in original quality so its playing at the same quality Kodi is trying to but it plays without issue. Plex and Kodi are pulling content from the same location so can anyone explain to me why one constantly caches and the other doesnt.  Below are the cache settings i have in my advancedsettings

<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>419430400</memorysize>
<readfactor>10</readfactor>
</cache>
Could you remove the cache settings from the AS.xml file, enable debugging, restart Kodi for a clean log file, play a buffering video, and then provide the debug log (wiki) so we can perhaps establish a base line?
I'm seeing the same issue (buffering on Shield TV,) except only with higher bitrate material (e.g. 2160p BD remux). Was working fine on Leia Alpha 3, but Beta is not working out of the box. Hard-wired with gigabit 
Ethernet to a server with library on SMB share.

At first it would stop to buffer for like 6-8 seconds once every few minutes (on higher bitrate material/scenes). I then added a cache section like the OP. It still buffers in the same manner except it doesn't report progress (the spinner says 0) and I get a pop-up saying that the source is too slow.

Cache settings:
xml:
<cache>
  <!-- Buffer all file systems -->
  <buffermode>1</buffermode>

<!-- 128MB buffer size (Kodi will use 3x this in RAM - 384MB) -->
  <memorysize>134217728</memorysize>

<!-- Increase the fill-rate of the cache. Default 4. -->
  <readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>

Log with cache enabled:
https://pastebin.com/TW01dqvg

Will post back with cache settings removed.