Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any well known picture quality improvement suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am still adjusting to using Kodi, and live TV via HDHR Prime tuners are what I use the most to view content.  Having used Emby, WMC, and a few others I am  disappointed about the PQ in Kodi for live TV.  The picture often looks blurry if I had to describe it.  For the time being I'm on the HDHR PVR addon available via the official Kodi Repository but I am working towards moving to Server WMC.  I would like to know if there is some way that I can work towards improving the PQ in Kodi's live TV, or even better yet if there is a way to use ffmpeg based codecs like LAV without using the DSPlayer branch.  My PC is Win 10 pro with an I3 CPU, and a MSI GT 1030 LP graphics card.  I can post logs or take screenshots if need be but until then I am curious as to weather or not I'm missing something really obvious, and thank you for the help.
Try using Pixel Shaders as the render method and choosing Lanczos3. LAV is just a decoder, so it wouldn't do anything to improve image quality. Emby is using mpv with LanczosSharp as the image scaler and maybe a slightly higher bit depth, but the image shouldn't be dramatically different. Are you sure this isn't just an issue with the particular channels you are watching? You can get an artificial sense of having a different image by using a different source.

v18 should also offer an incremental improvement in image quality. You should be outputting in RGB from the GPU if you are using Windows.