Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Weather Underground Replacement?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been loving Weather Undergrounds data for a long time.  When it came time to build a new Kodi box, I quickly learned (as I'm sure a lot of people have) that WU is going away to force users to subscribe to their API. 

Has there been any development on any of the other addons, or possibly a new addon, that can compare to the usefulness of WU?  Specifically, I'm looking at Current Conditions, Forecasts, and Radar (preferably animated).  Is Yahoo! Weather the default service now for most people?  I feel crippled without my daily weather check!
I'm also looking for a Weather Underground replacement, but specifically one that has an animated radar map loop feature. Weatherbit.io and open weather map add-ons do not have this feature. Without that, it's a showstopper for us, as that's the only reason we use Kodi's weather feature, and we use that any time there's a storm in the area. Is there any other add-ons available that have this vital feature? If not, is anyone possibly developing one somewhere that anyone knows of?
I use both WU and Darksky.net - darksky actually appear to be more accurate and provides alerts down to the minute! Really helps not get caught out walking the dog.

https://darksky.net/dev/docs
Is there a Kodi addon for Dark Sky? I can't find one.
nope - I was suggesting it as a possible solution though. you could uh .. subscribe to WU though?
That's the problem, though. I've been using Weather Underground up to this point, but they are closing their API, and the addon is being discontinued. So, as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for a replacement for WU that has the features I need. Darksky sounds great, but no addon. And none of the other weather addons have the features that made WU so great. So I'm stuck.
The DarkSky requirement to use their API:
Quote:You are required to display the message “Powered by Dark Sky” that links to
(darksky site)
somewhere prominent in your app or service.

I don't think is acceptable for an official Kodi add-on.

scott s.
Yeah, probably not.

Are there any Weather Underground replacements for Kodi that have, specifically, an animated radar loop feature?

I really don't care what they are as long as they have this feature and work in my part of the world (United States).

Thank you!
(2018-10-04, 00:37)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]The DarkSky requirement to use their API:
Quote:You are required to display the message “Powered by Dark Sky” that links to
(darksky site)
somewhere prominent in your app or service.

I don't think is acceptable for an official Kodi add-on.

scott s.
 Why not? Every existing weather addon includes a "powered by" line somewhere obvious and linking from the product page and wiki should cover the link requirement.

NOTE: I'm only asking because I'd been considering writing a Dark Sky addon. It's been my preferred service for pretty much every device I have for years, and now Kodi is the only thing on something else...
For those who have their own PWS - I have found an add-on on github called wundergroundpws that seems to provide some functionality that at least allows you to display weather info from your own PWS. This only works if you have your own PWS and can get a new personal api from weather underground. Do a google search or a search over on github and you should be able to find it. Read the README file for configuration details. It’s still a bit rough around the edges but has some promise I think. Kudos to cytech for working it up!
(2019-04-04, 18:22)wags1 Wrote: [ -> ]For those who have their own PWS - I have found an add-on on github called wundergroundpws that seems to provide some functionality that at least allows you to display weather info from your own PWS. This only works if you have your own PWS and can get a new personal api from weather underground. Do a google search or a search over on github and you should be able to find it. Read the README file for configuration details. It’s still a bit rough around the edges but has some promise I think. Kudos to cytech for working it up!

Be nice if it could be updated. High/low forecast temps are way wrong and each time they are refreshed they almost double in value. i.e. they start at 80/55 then refresh displays them as 155/134 then 325/160. I entered my latitude and longitude as reported by WU for my station. Then I tried using google maps to obtain them. Got the same results. I really hope this addon isn't abandoned. It's got a lot of good possibilities!
(2020-02-23, 16:44)flhthemi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-04, 18:22)wags1 Wrote: [ -> ]For those who have their own PWS - I have found an add-on on github called wundergroundpws that seems to provide some functionality that at least allows you to display weather info from your own PWS. This only works if you have your own PWS and can get a new personal api from weather underground. Do a google search or a search over on github and you should be able to find it. Read the README file for configuration details. It’s still a bit rough around the edges but has some promise I think. Kudos to cytech for working it up!

Be nice if it could be updated. High/low forecast temps are way wrong and each time they are refreshed they almost double in value. i.e. they start at 80/55 then refresh displays them as 155/134 then 325/160. I entered my latitude and longitude as reported by WU for my station. Then I tried using google maps to obtain them. Got the same results. I really hope this addon isn't abandoned. It's got a lot of good possibilities!
You have to enter your longitude as a negative number, latitude as a positive number. So for example, latitude as xx.xx, longitude as -xx.xxx.