Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Delete file upon playing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

When you don't play video you can delete it. But what to do if I wanna watch video and decide delete it. How to do it without going back to list of files and press "del'. Is it possible to do upon playing.

Thank you.
There is currently no option or functionality for deleting a video right after it has been watched.

IMO, plenty of videos would be deleted without the Kodi user has viewed the full video because he/she fell asleep sometime into the video. ;-)
Seems like a bad idea... the kodi user (assuming you're running standalone) should not have write access to the broader filesystem, just its own homedir.
I think there are a couple of add-ons around which offer such functionality (as noted it's not a core option, for the aforesaid reasons).

Have a look through the addons sub-folders or use the search functionality of the board and you may be able to find them. I can't recall the exact add-on name(s) offhand, as I too wouldn't use one myself.

Editted to add - found at least one, but a beta add-on. I think there were others in the same topic too but can't see those easily.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=273665
I disagree that this is bad idea. This is my files and I'm too old that something/someone limit my rights to delete anything from my HDD Smile
the main point that sometimes need to check 50-100 video files and select only the best, so some "trash" video very nice delete upon watching.
In real life it's like
1. Select first file for playing
2. Seek forward couple of times for check video.
3. If it good forward to next video, else delete video and player start play next file in folder.

Zoom player has this functionality but it's for Windows only. So I'm looking similar for Ubuntu.
The current solution:
- Start video in Kodi
- Skip a couple of times till the end for review
- Kodi returns to the video in the listing
- Press 'DEL' on your keyboard
- Confirm to delete the file from the video library and your HDD
- Go to the next video

Sorry, but writing the extended functionality for something that only a handful of videos that only a small number of people will use is not worth the extra effort of designing, writing, testing, debugging, rewriting and more testing... after which it hopefully works on most Kodi-enabled devices. Simply press an extra button in Kodi. Otherwise, there is always Zoom player.
One of the other add-ons I was remembering before - After Watch

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=162770

Does that cover your needs?
Kodi fantastic system and possibility of make own addons is absolutely fantastic. Of course not all SDK well documentated. But 2 hour and I wrote own addon that do almost what I want (I never wrote on Python before) Smile

I made everything that I want include dialog & so on except one thing: how to play next file in folder? Player().next() play next file in playlist, but if I select file in folder so my playlist is only one file.
All what I found - build own list of files, find file that playing now and play next file. But maybe easier way exist?
Those are questions better asked in the add-ons development section.