Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dolby digital plus and TrueHD no passthrough on Nvidia Shield TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2019-03-25, 09:45)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]The testers on our team have the "Atmos" logo on their AVR when playing that content - that's why I wonder.

Apologies if Im hi-jacking the thread, Just wanted to share my experience and why I use the "forceRAW" build on my ShieldTV. In case it helps sort anything out.

I have no issue passing DD+ and TrueHD, nor do I have any issue passing, DD, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS:X. (Tested thoroughly on a Denon X3500H and an Onkyo NR656(with 5.1.2))

It seems ATMOS is the only issue, and specifically the location metadata, As the sounds will pass, but be output through the wrong channels, In a consistent manner. This happened sporadically in 17 and consistently in 18. (tested with every setting combo I could fathom)

Turning 'passthrough' off and back on during playback seems to fix it. (I am unsure if its permanent as I have never continued playback for more than a few minutes after cycling it)

Anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to.
(2019-03-26, 09:01)Enzarch Wrote: [ -> ]Anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to. 

Raise an issue on GitHub please.
Thanks for your feedback, so yes it is really strange that it works for many people.
I know my amp (Yamaha yht 1840) support eac3 and truehd because it works just fine with Netflix app and with Android player
I thought I would add that I have exactly the same behaviour as the OP running Leia on my Nvidia Shield TV. To be clear:

I am using ARC, kodi is connected to my TV (LG) -- which is connected to my receiver (Yamaha).
DDP on the netflix app works fine (passed through to my receiver).
DDP on kodi 18.1 with passthrough enabled has no audio output
DDP on kodi with passthrough enabled on the 'forceraw' build linked in this thread works great.
Kodi's IEC Packer does NOT support ARC for anything other than DTS and AC3. We always open 8 channels / 192 khz for TrueHD, DTS-HD as well as 2 channels / 192 khz for DDP.

Most shitty soundbards and ARC mode (which is a SPDIF) only support 2 PCM channels and 48 khz, which is the reason why the internal packer (forceraw build -> android does everything) "works". For your ARC setup most likely you only get AC3 anyways and not DD+.
(2019-04-07, 18:11)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi's IEC Packer does NOT support ARC for anything other than DTS and AC3. We always open 8 channels / 192 khz for TrueHD, DTS-HD as well as 2 channels / 192 khz for DDP.

Most shitty soundbards and ARC mode (which is a SPDIF) only support 2 PCM channels and 48 khz, which is the reason why the internal packer (forceraw build -> android does everything) "works". For your ARC setup most likely you only get AC3 anyways and not DD+.

Hi, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, when you say the forceraw build --> kodi doing everything, does that mean the DDP is completely gone / decoded /repacked by android into another format  ? So even if I connect directly to my receiver without ARC there won't be DDP ? 

At the moment my receiver thinks it is getting 'Dolby Digital +' (using the forceraw build). Is the receiver being fooled by Kodi ? or is the the raw DDP signal actually being passed through ?
Above is written: Android does everything. We just give it the "raw" audio bits (forceraw). It packs it by itself and sends it out. In ForceRAW version, the IEC packing step happens by the Android system without any influence by us. So the DD+ you see does not necessarily have to be the maxbitrate you send in. But as most users only believe quality is good when they see a green light or DD+ on their AVR, etc. - just ignore it :-).

If kodi  is in IEC mode (which is the default, cause Android's packer has a lot of disadvanteges (no 44.1 dts support, etc.) kodi takes the RAW packets and adds them into IEC frames and only after that sends them out to Android. Our IEC packer supports much more formats than the Android packer, especially there are big disadvantages in Android's DTS (nothing besides 48 khz works), there are disadvantages in DD+ as nothing besides 5.1 DD+ with lower bitrate works and so on.

Edit: I clarified some things by giving examples and also stated why "I see DD+" and hope it's 1:1 passthrough is not true.
Just plug your Shield directly into the AVR.
Does anyone know where to get a 'force raw' build for the shield for the latest 18.2 release?

Thanks!
Take a look at the official source: "http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/" and take the right one (arm64-v8a for Shield).
(2019-04-27, 04:11)Julestop Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know where to get a 'force raw' build for the shield for the latest 18.2 release?

Thanks!

Shitty and forceraw just rebuild ... will be pushed to usual location based on final 18.2
(2019-04-27, 14:38)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-04-27, 04:11)Julestop Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know where to get a 'force raw' build for the shield for the latest 18.2 release?

Thanks!

Shitty and forceraw just rebuild ... will be pushed to usual location based on final 18.2 

Thanks fritsch for the build and upload!

I am wondering, is there a difference between shitty and forceraw? I was using 18.2 RC1 force-raw and it fixed my audio issues but it does crash on my shield occasionally... I am wondering if I should be using the shitty or force-raw, and I'm not sure what the difference is. (The crashing may be from something else in my config BTW)

Thanks!
No idea about your issue as you did not provide the mandatory Debug Log.

Shitty is not suggested to anyone, forceraw is just using a fully supported android output mode, which is in 99.9% inferior to IEC mode, which is why it is not the default.
(2019-04-29, 19:17)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]No idea about your issue as you did not provide the mandatory Debug Log.

Shitty is not suggested to anyone, forceraw is just using a fully supported android output mode, which is in 99.9% inferior to IEC mode, which is why it is not the default.

Thanks, I appreciate the info... unfortunately I need to stick to forceraw until I can purchase a new receiver...
I suspect my crashing may be related to my buffering settings... also could be my skin which isn't officially supported yet (Eminence). I will adjust and switch to Aeon and see if it resolves. I don't think it has anything to do with Kodi since others using Shield aren't having issues.

Thanks again!
You can suggest, you can bet, you can sacrifice a cat - whatever you like from speculation planet ... when you don't want to speculate anymore, just look into your Debug Log
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10