Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dolby digital plus and TrueHD no passthrough on Nvidia Shield TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
RAW vs. IEC: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2843481
Shitty: NO digital format is sent out, but the normal 16 bit audio format is "fake used" to transmit digital iec packages in full volume ... with the hope that AVR understands it. If anything in the system only barely touches the volume, your ears, your cat, especially dog will get loud volume noise on the ears ... this is why it's called shitty.
(2019-03-26, 21:25)Floyds4thPig Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your feedback, so yes it is really strange that it works for many people.
I know my amp (Yamaha yht 1840) support eac3 and truehd because it works just fine with Netflix app and with Android player
Hey, just thought I'd weigh in as I'm having the same issue in Kodi 18.2 on my Nvidia Shield (16GB 2015) using the exact same setup as you mention (Yamaha YHT-1840). The AV receiver is model number HTR-2071. So, could somehow come down to this. Not sure why or how.

I was testing it out as I only got this system a few days ago and everything was working as expected. Netflix/Amazon kicks up DD+ on the AVR screen when relevant, so I know it kicks in and works. All seemed to be fine in Kodi with some DD and DTS, but I tried a DD+ movie and it all falls silent until I disable passthrough and shift to PCM.

I mean, I'm not really too bothered as this isn't my main living room setup, so I re-enabled passthrough in the audio settings and left just EAC3 off for now. I just wanted to let you know that I have basically the exact same equipment in the Nvidia Shield and Yamaha AVR, so this could be something to look into.

Cheers
This seems to be receiver specific or just general issues with ARC, I saw someone else mention issues with their Onkyo receiver. I just bought a 5.1.2 system and I'm using a Marantz NR1609 connected directly to my shield via HDMI and audio via optical audio and I have zero issues with any Dolby or DTS codecs. I previously used an LG SK9Y soundbar via ARC and occasionally had issues with Atmos.
It's an issue with Nvidia, x9a passes through no problem into my Denon x3500h Atmos system, truehd it cannot pass through, also Dolby plus DD+ has issues mo license and no sound at all.
(2019-03-26, 09:01)Enzarch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-03-25, 09:45)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]The testers on our team have the "Atmos" logo on their AVR when playing that content - that's why I wonder.

Apologies if Im hi-jacking the thread, Just wanted to share my experience and why I use the "forceRAW" build on my ShieldTV. In case it helps sort anything out.

I have no issue passing DD+ and TrueHD, nor do I have any issue passing, DD, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS:X. (Tested thoroughly on a Denon X3500H and an Onkyo NR656(with 5.1.2))

It seems ATMOS is the only issue, and specifically the location metadata, As the sounds will pass, but be output through the wrong channels, In a consistent manner. This happened sporadically in 17 and consistently in 18. (tested with every setting combo I could fathom)

Turning 'passthrough' off and back on during playback seems to fix it. (I am unsure if its permanent as I have never continued playback for more than a few minutes after cycling it)

Anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to.
How do I get Kodi installed with forceRaw?
I can confirm that forceRaw build resolves the issue and now both TrueHD and DD+ is being received correctly by Denon x35000h.
Now Nvidia has to resolve the issue with Source resolution playback and play native resolution of the file.
(2019-06-04, 21:41)brando56894 Wrote: [ -> ]This seems to be receiver specific or just general issues with ARC, I saw someone else mention issues with their Onkyo receiver. I just bought a 5.1.2 system and I'm using a Marantz NR1609 connected directly to my shield via HDMI and audio via optical audio and I have zero issues with any Dolby or DTS codecs. I previously used an LG SK9Y soundbar via ARC and occasionally had issues with Atmos.
The issue is not with just Dolby, the issue is with Atmos TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. The rest seems working fine. But as others mentioned previously use the latest Release Candidate of Kodi which is Leya 18.3 RC and it must be forcedRaw build. Once you install this, there will be the option with TrueHD and DD+ which you can enable to pass through to your receiver. And it works. Here is the foreRaw build you will need. http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm64-v8a/
(2019-04-07, 18:49)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Just plug your Shield directly into the AVR.

Hi. Thank you. 

I really appreciate the advice in the forum, and I am happy to try to learn more if there are resources. At the moment I am faced with the following choice (using the default Kodi build on an nvidia shield TV):

1) plug the Shield directly into the AVR (audio passthrough works fine, but HDR to the TV does not)
2) plug the Shield into the TV and use ARC over HDMI for audio (HDR works but audio passthrough does not)
3) Use the forceraw build and get both HDR and audio passthrough over ARC

But consensus on this thread is that the android IEC packer that android uses is much worse. So my question .... Am I doomed to use the forceraw build (in order to get surround sound and HDR) until I purchase new hardware ? Or is there any hope of the kodi IEC packer output being successfully passed through to my receiver ? (Will the forceraw builds always exist ?) Or should I use the kodi option to re transcode the output to multichannel ? (would that be better).
There are still issues with Nvidia itself , somehow TrueHD option passtrhough has disappeared from Kodi
(2019-06-05, 08:26)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]I can confirm that forceRaw build resolves the issue and now both TrueHD and DD+ is being received correctly by Denon x35000h.
Now Nvidia has to resolve the issue with Source resolution playback and play native resolution of the file.

Are you using the latest one (kodi-20190530-e30df1d3-forceraw-arm64-v8a.apk) though? When I upgraded to that one I got the problems back again.
(2019-06-05, 17:54)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 08:26)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]I can confirm that forceRaw build resolves the issue and now both TrueHD and DD+ is being received correctly by Denon x35000h.

Are you using the latest one (kodi-20190530-e30df1d3-forceraw-arm64-v8a.apk) though? When I upgraded to that one I got the problems back again. 
Hi, yes this is correct, you simply download this on USB, then from any file manager install the *.apk onto your Nvidia Shield. After launching Kodi it will be latest 18.3 RC build you go to System->Audio options and in Passthrough section you'll now see option for Dolby Digital Plus (Enable/Disable), DTS-HD and True-HD. This worked fine yesterday and Denon did recognized TrueHD audio as Dolby ATMOS and the DD+ format as well.
However today I've started to resolve the issue around autoswitch for the framerate, fiddling nvidia shield hdmi output settings and audio and now all the settings in the passthrough has disappeared, I've noticed that this directly depends on whether you choose Surround Sound in Nvidia Shield to on or off or always. 
Still nvidia has sometimes audio dropouts and now DolbyAtmos doesn't work, it is certainly a bug within Nvidia Shield they need to address it. I've isolated that the issue could be cables as I use the most stable MONOPRICE HDMI 4k cables, which works fine with my X9S or OPPO UDP-203 without any issues at all and sound format is identified always correctly and displayed correctly without any problems.
I'm quite disappointed with Nvidia as having that box for around 3 years, they have this child silly issues.
I don’t understand why this doesn’t work for everyone.

I, currently, am running v19 and EVERY SOUND FORMAT WORKS. DD, DD+, Truehd, ATMOS, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS-HD, DTS:X, PCM 5.1 and 7.1. The only thing I haven’t tried is Auro?

I have an Nvidia Shield (with the latest test F/W) and a Denon AVRx-4300H. It all works, all the sound formats, all the speakers.

I’ve had the amp around two years now and have used v17.6 (worked) v18.2 (worked) it even works in SPMC and when did development stop on that?

I don’t think I’ve setup anything special to achieve this. Although I recall following @Koying audio settings for SPMC.

My shield is plugged into my amp and passed through to the TV. I have ARC enabled, allow I don’t use it but it works and is enabled.

I have said this before but I don’t mind sharing a debug file or testing anything out but I can’t emphasise enough, all of the formats work and play.

Hope this shows there is light at the end of the tunnel for you all.

ATB

Joel
I'm reading similar issues on Geforce forums, this is very funny, as those issues should have been eliminated within the 1st year of the box release MAX, very disappointed with their DEV TEAM.
(2019-06-05, 18:30)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t understand why this doesn’t work for everyone.

I, currently, am running v19 and EVERY SOUND FORMAT WORKS. DD, DD+, Truehd, ATMOS, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS-HD, DTS:X, PCM 5.1 and 7.1. The only thing I haven’t tried is Auro?

I have an Nvidia Shield (with the latest test F/W).

v18.2 (worked)

- What latest test FW you have, can you specify exactly?
- v18.2 (worked)
Are you sure that actually the sound is received in the correct format and not transcoded into other format? 
For instance there are no sound if I play Grand Prix Driver 2018 TV Series, it has Dolby Digital Plus audio and my 18.2 Kodi doesn't work I had to install 18.3 RC build in order to switch passthrough for Dolby Digital Plus, as otherwise it doesn't appear in the option.

I had this shield for one day, and didn't have a lot of time to test it properly but from the beginning I can say it is buggy, if you compare to other android boxes.
(2019-06-05, 18:40)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 18:30)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t understand why this doesn’t work for everyone.

I have an Nvidia Shield (with the latest test F/W).

v18.2 (worked)

- What latest test FW you have, can you specify exactly?
- v18.2 (worked)
Are you sure that actually the sound is received in the correct format and not transcoded into other format? 
For instance there are no sound if I play Grand Prix Driver 2018 TV Series, it has Dolby Digital Plus audio and my 18.2 Kodi doesn't work I had to install 18.3 RC build in order to switch passthrough for Dolby Digital Plus, as otherwise it doesn't appear in the option.

I had this shield for one day, and didn't have a lot of time to test it properly but from the beginning I can say it is buggy, if you compare to other android boxes.

The current F/W I’m on is here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...est-image/

Although I didn’t need that F/W as it has all worked on all previous versions on the Shield.

The sound format being played is exactly as I would choose. If I have a DTS-MA encoded film it displays DTS-MA on my AMP display. Same goes for if I play an ATMOS enabled film, it plays in ATMOS. I can change the audio settings whilst the film is being played to plain flavour DD5.1 and it will output that too and is correctly displayed on the AMP.

Again hope this helps it does all work just not sure what people are doing wrong.

ATB

Joel

PS I’ve had my Shield since April 17
PPS All my chain is HDMI2.0 and HDCP 2.2. All cables are Amazon basics high speed thingys
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10