Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dolby digital plus and TrueHD no passthrough on Nvidia Shield TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2019-06-05, 19:02)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 18:40)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 18:30)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t understand why this doesn’t work for everyone.

I, currently, am running v19 and EVERY SOUND FORMAT WORKS. DD, DD+, Truehd, ATMOS, DTS, DTS-MA, DTS-HD, DTS:X, PCM 5.1 and 7.1. The only thing I haven’t tried is Auro?

I have an Nvidia Shield (with the latest test F/W).

v18.2 (worked)

- What latest test FW you have, can you specify exactly?
- v18.2 (worked)
Are you sure that actually the sound is received in the correct format and not transcoded into other format? 
For instance there are no sound if I play Grand Prix Driver 2018 TV Series, it has Dolby Digital Plus audio and my 18.2 Kodi doesn't work I had to install 18.3 RC build in order to switch passthrough for Dolby Digital Plus, as otherwise it doesn't appear in the option.

I had this shield for one day, and didn't have a lot of time to test it properly but from the beginning I can say it is buggy, if you compare to other android boxes.  

The current F/W I’m on is here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...est-image/

Although I didn’t need that F/W as it has all worked on all previous versions on the Shield.

The sound format being played is exactly as I would choose. If I have a DTS-MA encoded film it displays DTS-MA on my AMP display. Same goes for if I play an ATMOS enabled film, it plays in ATMOS. I can change the audio settings whilst the film is being played to plain flavour DD5.1 and it will output that too and is correctly displayed on the AMP.

Again hope this helps it does all work just not sure what people are doing wrong.

ATB

Joel

PS I’ve had my Shield since April 17
PPS All my chain is HDMI2.0 and HDCP 2.2. All cables are Amazon basics high speed thingys  

Ok I found the issue what it causing for Kodi not seeing the receiver of capatable passing through all the formats:
In your Nvidia Shield Settings go to 
Display & Sound -> Advanced Settings
Surround Sound (Always)
Upstream Audio 5.1 (True) - this is very important setting otherwise Kodi won't see this option in Passthrough section and TrueHD won't be available
Fixed Volume (True)

Then go to Kodi -> System -> System settings
Audio section in Expert mode, now under Passthrough Audio you should see all the formats supported:
DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, TrueHD
[/quote]

Ok I found the issue what it causing for Kodi not seeing the receiver of capatable passing through all the formats:
In your Nvidia Shield Settings go to 
Display & Sound -> Advanced Settings
Surround Sound (Always)
Upstream Audio 5.1 (True) - this is very important setting otherwise Kodi won't see this option in Passthrough section and TrueHD won't be available
Fixed Volume (True)

Then go to Kodi -> System -> System settings
Audio section in Expert mode, now under Passthrough Audio you should see all the formats supported:
DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, TrueHD
[/quote]

Don’t think I’ve ever changed an audio setting on the Shield and I don’t think you want to turn up mixing on
(2019-06-05, 20:15)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t think I’ve ever changed an audio setting on the Shield and I don’t think you want to turn up mixing on

I've just tested it, and without that setting on you won't be able to passthrough TrueHD. 
Check your settings again and make sure you are up to date.
(2019-06-05, 20:21)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 20:15)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]Don’t think I’ve ever changed an audio setting on the Shield and I don’t think you want to turn up mixing on

I've just tested it, and without that setting on you won't be able to passthrough TrueHD. 

I can’t post pictures (don’t know how) but I’ve got, in the Shield audio settings, surround sound set to automatic and fixed volume on. All other settings are off.
(2019-06-05, 21:20)Jbev01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-05, 20:21)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]

I can’t post pictures (don’t know how) but I’ve got, in the Shield audio settings, surround sound set to automatic and fixed volume on. All other settings are off. 
Yes its the Surround Sound feature that alters the TrueHD setting, but before I had it to Automatic and Always and Kodi still didn't show TrueHD, then enabling all other features did finally show it up.
(2019-06-05, 19:48)sergejskr Wrote: [ -> ]Upstream Audio 5.1 (True) - this is very important setting otherwise Kodi won't see this option in Passthrough section and TrueHD won't be available
Fixed Volume (True)

Neither of them affect TrueHD being available for me; only Surround Sound (Always or Auto) does.
I know this is a bit old of a thread, but just to clarify since I have the Yamaha HTR-2071: Shield - Receiver - TV and not getting DD+ I need to either use the Forceraw build, which is supposed to be not so great quality? Or get a newer/better receiver?

What would be a good receiver to get that works with Kodi for DD+ if I was to get one?
Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  I am using an Nvidia Shield TV 2019, with Kodi 18.5.  If I enable E-AC3 in Kodi's sound settings I do not get any sound from a file that has a Dolby Digital Plus audio track.  If I disable E-AC3 then the sound plays as regular Dolby Digital, not Plus.  I have test other apps on the shield, such as Netflix, and they are able to pass DD+ using the same setup.
I've got the Shield Pro 2019. Can someone guide me through the correct audio settings for
  1. Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
  2. Kodi 18.5
The shield is directly connected to a receiver with HDMI, so no need for ARC with its limitations. I notice that the Shields settings differ from the 2015 & 2017 versions.
I want the passthroughtto work, so that the AVR takes care of the decoding. I only get Multi PCM to the AVR mostly of the times when trying different settings.

Edit: I solved it by install the force-raw-build. Now I get passthrough as expected.
(2019-06-04, 21:41)brando56894 Wrote: [ -> ]This seems to be receiver specific or just general issues with ARC, I saw someone else mention issues with their Onkyo receiver. I just bought a 5.1.2 system and I'm using a Marantz NR1609 connected directly to my shield via HDMI and audio via optical audio and I have zero issues with any Dolby or DTS codecs. I previously used an LG SK9Y soundbar via ARC and occasionally had issues with Atmos.
Hi Brando, I have logged a few posts trying to work out how to get digital Dolby working from about 3 different Android boxes on my NR1609. Never got any of them working better than PCM Stereo using Kodi (Versions).
I am considering buying the more expensive Shield Pro but can I ask you if your NVIDIA Shield TV Audio works correctly over HDMI 2.0b or did you have to use optical port for Audio and HDMI for Vision? When Using the Android boxes it always reverted Sound back to HDMI even when I selected Passthru and Optical = No sound at all.
Which media software did you use on the Shield, was it Kodi ?
Sorry for the questions but my 7.1 sound system is quickly becoming an expensive pair of stereo speakers for a few years now...
Bro today 3/1/22 I am facing the same problem I am using Yamaha AV receiver 1840 model I update Kodi app after update Dolby true HD not working properly back surround speaker not working only working front left right centre speakers. I don't know what to do to please anyone know this solution please tell me

Bro can you share your Yamaha receiver settings
I gave up and bought one of the latest Sony units and it still didnt work. Even with a totally new media player. Got it working eventuslly sort of... The problem relates to the kod software. With the settings I now get Dolby digital 5.1 regardless of output. It was passthru turned off on my Sony. The display shows multi channel but the sub works and rear but never get the 7.1
suggest writing down all the sound settings in Kodi and work thru each on on the same output file one by one. Also restart the output player each time. Sometimes it doesn't work if still powered.
[font][font]Avec Kodi 19.3 sur une Shield TV (préampli PRIMARE), le passtrough ne fonctionne pas. [/font][font]Tout va bien si j'utilise VLC. [/font][font]Depuis que je suis passé à Kodi V19, j'ai ce problème.[/font][/font]
With Kodi 19.3 on a Shield TV (on PRIMARE preamp), the passtrough does not work. Everything is fine if I use VLC. Since switching to Kodi V19 I have this problem.
I have the same problem. After upgrade to 19.3 True hd not working. Please help with solution. I use nvidia shield pro.
(2022-01-04, 18:35)Ives25 Wrote: [ -> ]With Kodi 19.3 on a Shield TV (on PRIMARE preamp), the passtrough does not work. Everything is fine if I use VLC. Since switching to Kodi V19 I have this problem.

(2022-01-09, 17:47)falexandru Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same problem. After upgrade to 19.3 True hd not working. Please help with solution. I use nvidia shield pro.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10