Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fast action is blurry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My setup:

HDHomeRun Connect DUO HDHR5-2US
nextPVR on a Windows 7 PC 
NVIDIA Shield with Kodi/nextPVR connected to a Panasonic Plasma TV (Kodi 17.6)
All of the above is on a gigabit network (wired, not wifi)

Last week I recorded a Fox (720p) football game on my PC using nextPVR and then played it back on my TV (streaming from the PC) and it looked great.  I also recorded maybe 30 minutes of the NBC (1080i) Sunday Night Football game that day and when I play it back on my TV it looks great.  However last night I recorded the SNF game and the playback was fine except during fast action.  It looked very blurry.  Fast action during commercials looked fine.  But during the live broadcast as soon as a play would start the players running would look blurry.  When it showed a close up it was even worse. I have another Shield hooked up to a Hitachi LCD TV and I had the same result with it.  I also used the VLC app on both of the Shields to watch the recording and had the same result.  But I would go back and watch the recording from the week before and the fast action looked fine. 

So at that point I assumed it was some issue with the broadcast and assumed that even if I had watched it live using the HDHomerun APP or Kodi it would have looked the same way.  But then I watched the video on my PC and played the recording and the fast action looked good.  Also, it is confusing why the Sunday Night Football game broadcast the week before on the same channel looks fine.  That makes me think it isn't any setting, but then again I don't know why it looks fine on my computer. 

I posted this information elsewhere (nextPVR) and was told it was likely related to deinterlacing settings in Kodi.  However I had pulled up the OSD video settings menu and the deinterlace option is greyed out and set to "off".  I read today that the hardware acceleration needs to be turned off before the deinterlacing can be turned on.  So today I got home and immediately turned off the MediaCodec (surface) and I still couldn't change the "deinterlace" in the OSD. I then also turned off "MediaCodec" and then in the OSD I could set deinterlace to "off", "deinterlace (half)", and "deinterlace".  When I tried deinterlace the Shield CPUs were close to maxed out and the video would hang about once per second.  I tried "half" and it seemed like the blurriness was gone and the hanging didn't happen.  I then went back and turned on both hardware accelerations and went back in to the play the video and the blurriness was still gone (even though the OSD deinterlace was not greyed out again and set to "off").  I then went to the other Shield/TV which had never had its settings changed and the blurriness is gone there a swell.  However when I play the file in VLC on the shield it still has the motion blurriness.  

I'm completely confused and have no idea what was causing the blurriness or why it stopped in Kodi.  BTW, both all files are MPEG-TS files (720p 59.94fps AC-3 audio or 1080i 29.97fps AC-3 audio).  Any suggestions?