Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB Shares with spaces in the path/folder names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Windows 10 shares setup in Kodi v18-beta 2 through SMB. The shares without spaces in the folder names work fine. But I have a few like "TV Shows" and "Music Videos". How can I set them up as SMB shares in Kodi? I can probably change the share name in Windows, but isn't there a way to escape the space in the path instead? I tried searching to see if had been asked before but didn't find anything. Hard to search for SMB since it's only 3 characters.

I've tried:
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/"TV Shows"
"smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV Shows"
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV\Shows
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV%20Shows

TIA
Yes, it should be possible to use spaces in folder and file names... But I stepped away from that a long time ago. Either I use underscores as a replacement or I use no spaces at all. The 'battle' between Windows and Linux filenames isn't worth the trouble IMO. Just use what works. Having a space in a folder name because it is textually or aesthetically correct is not requirement in computing.
I know this is an old thread but in case someone needs to know the correct format for smb shares with spaces is as follows (the key is the slash / at the end)
smb://username:password@servername/share name with spaces/

Example:
smb://myname:1234@homeserver/My Drive/4k Movies/

No quotes are necessary, the last slash in the share name is what tells kodi that the share name has spaces apparently.
(2018-09-19, 03:39)comeonpilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]I have Windows 10 shares setup in Kodi v18-beta 2 through SMB. The shares without spaces in the folder names work fine. But I have a few like "TV Shows" and "Music Videos". How can I set them up as SMB shares in Kodi? I can probably change the share name in Windows, but isn't there a way to escape the space in the path instead? I tried searching to see if had been asked before but didn't find anything. Hard to search for SMB since it's only 3 characters.

I've tried:
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/"TV Shows"
"smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV Shows"
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV\Shows
smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV%20Shows

TIA
Yours would have been smb://SERVERNAME/Videos/TV Shows/