Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel nuc CIR bios issues : get involved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all kodi community

Today, I'm creating this thread to get people having infrared issues with their intel nuc involved with intel community forum. I'm really fed up by the way they dismiss the issue, like if nothing could be done about it. For thoses who are not aware, here is the thread on intel forums

the latest anwser from intel on this was (at the time of writing) :
Quote:Due to LPC limitation caused by changes made to protect platform circuitry, SirqMod was changed to QUIET mode from CONTINUOUS mode.
I have been told that there is no fix for this issue at this point, I am really sorry that this change is affecting the previous functionality of the equipment.

As a matter of fact, I've received an intel nuc NUC7PJYH (the J5005) with already the lastest firmware 44 installed . In intel world, you can't even go back to a previous (v27) firmware because they don't allow the downgrade ! This situation make the infrared CIR device completly useless as it doesn't work at all.

I count on you to tell intel via their community forum how bad this is and that they must fix it. Well if you wish to do so.
I may start the "shit storm" on social media if needed with the help of others. We can't let them do whatever they want, breaking features wiithout complaining, especially after the HDR support fiasco.
follow up
I've managed to get my hands on another NUC7PJYH nuc this morning, this nuc was loaded with firmware 0031. I've installed my ssd in it (with ubuntu 18.04.1 and latest kodi 18 beta 3) and tried the infrared device via
ir-keytable -c -p all -t:
ir-keytable -c -p all -t
the results was the same as my own nuc with 0044 firmware : infrared command dies after a few correct received events..

So we tested to downgrade the bios from 0031 to 0027 : same problem, ir dies. This is strange because some people said it was working with this particular 0027 firmware, but it doesn't. At the same time, I've read that the CIR device works without problems on windows 10 (how to tests it under win10 ?)
All this make me to believe that something is wrong with latests linux kernel or distro (my ubuntu server is running kernel 4.15)

So, what is going on there ?!
Downgrade kernel to 4.13 or 4.14 via ubuntu mainline and check if it starts working?
Just tried thoses kernels (from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/)

4.18.8-041808-generic : CIR dies the same way
4.16.3-041603-generic : CIR dies the same way
4.15.0-29-generic : ubuntu 18.04.1 kernel, CIR dies
4.14.0-041400-generic : CIR dies the same way
4.13.0-041300-generic : CIR dies the same way
4.11.0-041100-generic : CIR dies the same way + video hardware decoding doesn't work
4.10.0-041000-generic : CIR dies the same way + video hardware decoding doesn't work
4.9.0-040900-generic : CIR dies the same way + video hardware decoding doesn't work
4.4.14-040414-generic : CIR dies the same way + video hardware decoding doesn't work

I will try windows 10, just to see if it works.

edit: just installed windows 10 on a spare hdd : the IR device works flawlessly in windows 10 with latest 0044 firmware, so it is definitely a linux problem.
I wondered how to set it up a first. In fact, I've found the driver is setup to accept only MCE remote IR codes. So with the help of remote master software (http://www.hifi-remote.com) I've uploaded some MCE codes into my universal remote controller, an URC-6440 R02. Then kodi reacted right away to the remote.
It's a shame that linux is lagging behind on this, but may be there is a simple solution.

edit2: some folks here said that IR work on libreelec installer, it doesn't for me. Well, I did test it (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.2.5) and at first, I though it was true because the commands were received correctly. Then, after some time between 1 or 2 minutes, no events received anymore. Back to square one.
Given all issues I have with this nuc on linux (CIR not working, occasionnal freeze at boot or kernel panic, no sound output when resume from dpms, wifi access point freezing the whole system...) as well as systemd being so shitty, I decided to move to windows. At least, I'll try how it works there as an htpc machine and will give my impressions later.
My CIR dies also with latest BIOS after a few correct events.
This makes my NUC7CJYH useless.
It has worked with Bios 27 until now. Bios 45 is faulty.
Intel urgently must fix this disaster.
Not sure if this is still an issue,
With latest Bios JYGLKCPX.86A my NUC7PJYH detects my ancient HP Win media center remote no problem with this setting in Bios:
Advanced/Devices and peripherals/Onboard devices/Legacy device configuration/ Check (Enhanced consumer IR)

https://imgur.com/3yvA12P
(2019-03-28, 09:49)Oshan Ruiz Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is still an issue,
With latest Bios JYGLKCPX.86A my NUC7PJYH detects my ancient HP Win media center remote no problem with this setting in Bios:
Advanced/Devices and peripherals/Onboard devices/Legacy device configuration/ Check (Enhanced consumer IR)

https://imgur.com/3yvA12P

How do you find that system? I googled and it sounds like NUCBLOG think it's a little underpowered.  Could you get 4k HDR out of it?