Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Leia Beta 2 and 20180921 nightly crash on launch on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Snapdragon 652 processor) running Android 7.0.0
Kodi 17.6 runs fine.

I've tried both the Kodi 18 Leia beta 2 and the nightly (20180921) and both of them with throw a Kodi splash screen once on first run, then crash. Subsequent launches don't even generate a splash screen, just crash immediately.

I've tried turning on debug logging in the advancedsettings.xml but no log file is produced.
I've tried doing a clean install of both the beta 2 and the nightly but get exactly the same results.

Not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting at this stage? Or is this known/expected behaviour with the Android v18 builds currently?
I have exactly the same tablet setup, and on mine beta 2 runs fine.

Could there be some other software interfering with it (anti-virus/malware for example)? How much free storage space do you have on it?
(2018-09-23, 11:56)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I have exactly the same tablet setup, and on mine beta 2 runs fine.

Could there be some other software interfering with it (anti-virus/malware for example)? How much free storage space do you have on it?
 I've got 18GB free space so no problem there.
i don't run any antivirus or antimalware. Closest would be I use AdGuard for ad blocking.
What gets me though is that Kodi 17.6 runs absolutely fine.

Any other suggestions or ways I could troubleshoot or collect data for analysis?
It would only be to try a fresh install without any residue of previous installs, but you say you've done that.

What I would do is try it again - uninstall all versions of Kodi that you may have, then go to Android/data/ using a file browser and see if there's a folder org.xbmc.kodi. If there is, delete that (it's the top of the folder tree where Kodi stores all its settings and add-ons etc). Doing the uninstall should remove that folder anyway under Android, but just to be sure.

Then either install 17.6 from the Play Store, the Android Installer add-on and then try upgrading to whichever Leia version you want to try (I'd recommend beta 2 initially), or if you're confident to install an APK directly then go to the Kodi mirror server and grab the Leia APK and install it yourself (click here for the mirror's Android arm folder). Note for that you'll need to have 3rd party sources enabled in your Android security settings, although that is needed anyway I think via the other route too.

That will be a direct plain install without anything left over from any previous installs, so if that doesn't work then it's very weird as there's nothing hardware-wise or specific to the S2 which should cause an issue.
I have already done *exactly* what you have listed out above and get to the same result every time.

I have used a File Manager (with show hidden enabled) to go through and verify that the org.xbmc.kodi is gone and then tried clean installs of both beta2 and the nightly, as well as going back to 17.6 (verified working) and then upgrading.

All roads lead to the same result at this stage Sad
That's what I figured, so unfortunately all I can offer is that it is possible generally based on my own S2.

Quite why your particular device isn't playing ball I have no idea I'm afraid. Sorry about that...
This problem is not hardware specific... Same problem on several hardware types

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=htt...are_type=t