Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking for Ubuntu 16.04 Minimal Install post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There used to be a post for installing Kodi 17.6 on a minimal install Ubuntu 16.04 server.
But  search is not finding it.

I cannot go to Ubuntu 18.04 / Kodi 18, as TVHeadend does not support it
Also have an older video card (AMD/ATI Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770] )

...or can I just adapt this thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 to my requirements?
Yeah, just use the guide by fritsch.  You can install v18 on 16.04 if you would prefer it over 17.6 (better pvr stuff) by adding the right ppa.  Also, I didn't really get on well with starting Kodi as a service via systemd, so I installed 'upstart-sysv' and did 'sudo update-initramfs -u' to switch back to upstart permanently.

Still not sure what my issue was exactly, but I couldn't get systemd to properly start X and then Kodi.  Maybe it was because I don't have a window manager - ymmv however.

There is also https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal which appears to have been updated for 16.04.
Thanks
I assume the Kodi download page for Linux is for Desktop versions only. It does not specify anywhere I looked.
So I'll go with the guide from Fritsch..as I am quite familiar with it...but with Ubuntu 16.04.
(2018-09-24, 18:11)vmstek Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot go to Ubuntu 18.04 / Kodi 18, as TVHeadend does not support it

Well, at some parts of that statement is wrong.

I´m using Kodi 18 on some Ubuntu 18.04 machine using TVHeadend client and it works pretty fine. So yeah, I can´t confirm that completely.

Any official Kodi you download is generally not meant to run headless. Fritschs guide for Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 server was only for using a minimal version of the most recommended OS for using Kodi on a normal TV.
Hmm..what release version of TVHeadend server are you using?
I have Ubuntu 18.04.1 server with Kodi 18 running now.

But I still cannot get the HDHomerun addon to run on this , or on Ubuntu 16.04.5 / Kodi 17.6.
It used to run but no longer...I have posted in the SiliconDust forum for help.
Works on everything else I am running (Win7-64, Vero4k OSMC-Kodi, Android 9, VLC etc., but Kodi just restarts after selecting channel.

I wanted the HDHomerun addon for the PremiumTV service, as I hear TVHeadend does not yet support IPTV.

I use an older server, so a headless minimal Ubuntu server has worked well for me for a few years.
Not thrilled about all the changes to Ubuntu18.04.1.
(2018-09-26, 01:58)vmstek Wrote: [ -> ]~~snip~~

I wanted the HDHomerun addon for the PremiumTV service, as I hear TVHeadend does not yet support IPTV.

Where did you hear that ? TVHeadend certainly does support IPTV - my version is 'Build: 4.3-1292~g9b9ee68 (2018-07-26T08:57:27+0000)' and IPTV is definitely supported and definitely works.
Hai,
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.03 on a C2 and have used the minimal .ISO, kodi won't work. it fails to get output when trying to start from terminal, I tried to install Kodi 16 from your site and it kept giving me the latest version  any ideas on what to do? I want to stick with Ubuntu after trying stretch and archlinux-arm!

Thanks,
Riya.
(2018-09-26, 12:15)riyawilliams Wrote: [ -> ]Hai,
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.03 on a C2 and have used the minimal .ISO, kodi won't work. it fails to get output when trying to start from terminal, I tried to install Kodi 16 from your site and it kept giving me the latest version  any ideas on what to do? I want to stick with Ubuntu after trying stretch and archlinux-arm!

Thanks,
Riya.
 You probably need to start the X server as well else there will be no graphic display for Kodi to attach to. A debug log will show -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced  Follow part 1.2 (advancedsettings.xml).  You can install V16 by removing your current PPA and adding sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/kodi-old  but it'll show the same issue if X isn't running.

FWIW kodi on my machine is started from an upstart job with exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/kodi-standalone -- -bs -nocursor vt07 :0" $USER where $USER is the username you want to run it under.
Isn´t it the case, that if you are using the Odroid c2 that this requires Ubuntu for ARM, which also isn´t supported in here?

@wsnipex might know

I would recommend to use LibreELEC if you want to use the Odroid C2. What is the reason to use Ubuntu?
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=69381

HDHomerun's PremiumTV's IPTV service apparently does not work with TVHeadend... according to that post...at the moment.
I will load up TVH 4.3 again and give it another go...but like the HDHomerun addon, it stopped working for me a few months ago with HDHomerun also.
Beginning to suspect it does not like my hardware anymore. I can play any high bitrate video file, BluRay, etc. so it is frustrating.
we don't provide ARM linux builds for ubuntu. There is way too much fragmentation in arm socs, so we'd have to provide at least 3-4 builds for rpbi, aml, rockchip, imx....
That's not feasible, so we leave it to the special distros
(2018-09-26, 16:12)vmstek Wrote: [ -> ]https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=69381

HDHomerun's PremiumTV's IPTV service apparently does not work with TVHeadend

Channels requiring a US cablecard inserted into the hdhomerun can’t be served to tvheadend if that’s what you mean by Premium IPTV, however all free to air channels will work perfectly fine to tvheadend.
(2018-09-26, 21:47)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-26, 16:12)vmstek Wrote: [ -> ]https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=69381

HDHomerun's PremiumTV's IPTV service apparently does not work with TVHeadend

Channels requiring a US cablecard inserted into the hdhomerun can’t be served to tvheadend if that’s what you mean by Premium IPTV, however all free to air channels will work perfectly fine to tvheadend.    
No cable card required according to SiliconDust's PremiumTV page.
Currently the IPTV PremiumTV is on a demo preview.
I am getting 50 IPTV channels along with 30 OTA on my HDHomerun Connect.

I wanted to use TVHeadend as the backend PVR for the IPTV channels, just like I do now for the OTA channels.
There seem to be some work-arounds available however.

I had to start over with a fresh server install, as the HDHomerun Kodi addon is crashing my Kodi, and TVHeadend would not work anymore either.
SiliconDust believes it is GPU related, but it worked fine a few months ago.

It is only my Ubuntu server giving me trouble with TVHeadend and HDHomerun addon . My Vero4k works well with TVHeadend and HDHomerun addon.
Unfortunately the Ubuntu server feeds the Home Theatre.

There are no issues with the Ubuntu server when playing anything else. The GPU does all the work and the CPU is barely utilized.

I am going to try a couple other Radeon cards...a HD7750 and a RX460.
The current card , a HD5770, while older, is supported by Ubuntu 18.04.1

If they do not solve the problem, the best solution will be another Vero (OSMC).
This remove the player from that server and leave it as a dedicated storage and PVR backend.