Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: If my TV shows playback from Shield is HDR10 is it using BT2020 gamut?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.  I recently got a Nvidia Shield 2017 with the new Experience 7.1.  I have a ton of 4k 10-bit HDR videos (I can confirm the BT2020 color space and HDR luminance via codec info in VLC 3.0).

Using the latest Kodi on my Shield my TV (directly connected via HDMI to my Vizio E60-E3 4k HDR) shows that the video is 2160p and HDR10.  If the TV is showing this, does this mean that it's definitely BT2020 and not somehow rec709?  I ask because in Android settings there is no way to set the output to [email protected] with BT2020.  Do I have to drop it to 30Hz, or is Kodi overriding the Android settings?  Also, Dynamic Range is grayed out.  Very confused
Do you have adjust refresh rate enabled?
(2018-09-25, 07:07)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have adjust refresh rate enabled?
 Nope
Is your shield plugged directly into your 4k HDR TV going into a HDMI 2.0 port with a HDMI cable that is at least 18 Gbps rated?
if not try to get a better speed rated cable and try again. I know it works perfect on my lg oled. I can choose 4k 60Hz with 10-bit rec2020 no problem.
(2018-09-25, 19:52)rontonomo Wrote: [ -> ]Is your shield plugged directly into your 4k HDR TV going into a HDMI 2.0 port with a HDMI cable that is at least 18 Gbps rated?
if not try to get a better speed rated cable and try again. I know it works perfect on my lg oled. I can choose 4k 60Hz with 10-bit rec2020 no problem.
 The cable is High Speed HDMI, which should work.  Vizio doesn't specify if the port is HDMI 2.0.  Could be that such a cheap unit doesn't officially support it.
Update:  I ordered a certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable.  The TV will now allow me to do 12-bit 422 in 4K but only at 30hz.  I'm guessing that it's a limitation of the TV.  It's a bit annoying that it won't do 60, but good enough given that I'm only watching movies and TV that are 24/25/30.