Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cache/buffering issues. Add-ons or in-built?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using cache/buffering/cleaning agents like Ares/Merlin wizards on my Kodi 17.6 and also modded the advanced settings.xml per Kodi wiki instructions (running 1/8 G RAM /flash Amlogic TV box with S905 1.5 GHz CPU.) Still don't know which one method was/not effective !

I have switched to Leia beta2, so what is best here? Any in-built auto manage/clean menus?
@siliconhippy

Apart from not really knowing what your question is, you have banned add-ons installed which now makes you ineligible for support.

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
I didn't know these were banned items !
In any case I have only used the cleaning parts.

Plus I now am moving to Kodi 18 as my posts indicate and I am looking for in-built systems...

To clarify, I want auto cleaning features for cache and buffer bloat. Will Kodi wiki instructions in this for advancedsettings.xml suffice for Leia, or are there legit add-ons available?

That is I want Kodi to clean itself periodically of thumbnails and packages and cache buildup that hinders normal performance. Hope it is clear now.
thumbnails shouldn´t hinder the performance of your device. The only thing which might hinder it, are those damned banned add-ons and repos.

For cleaning thumbnails automatically you could use that: https://kodi.wiki/view/Texture_Cache_Mai...ce_utility in a sheduled task. A cron-job for linux for example. Might depend on the OS you are using.

Probably you should also explain what kind of performance problems you have.
I don't have performance problems yet likely since I am not a heavy user ! Just being cautious for rainy days...

Thumbnails can certainly fill up your memory. E.g., on my Coreelec 8.95.2 S905 Amlogic TV box 1g RAM, I start with 650 /860 MB free, then in an hour go down to 340/860 MB ( KODI debug top right display.)

So I always wonder about cache buffer management if my box stays on for a few days.
Please go to coreELEC forum for support
I am specifically describing a potential Kodi issue that has been much discussed, for good reason.
My HTPC and Kodi runs 24 hours a day, 365 days per year and it is also running my NextPVR backend. The only time it gets restarted is when Windows installs Updates or I have a power outage. I have not encountered the problems you are trying to describe.
And we don't know what they do with the code in coreelec so again please ask there.
Great ....so essentially I might not need any special cache-buffer management apart from the Kodi wiki description in its example advanced settings.xml files.

One more issue resolved.

Thanks,
Cheers !