Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 1.17 cannot play movies but recognizes them.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, 

I've been busy all day trying it fix this problem. I have a 2TB HDD connected to my router with USB 3.0.There are around 200 movies on this disk. I connected my android TV to my router with cable. 
When I add the HDD to the kodi video file list everything goes smooth. I setup the "MovieDatabase" scraper to make everything look nice and good. 

I see everything, I can look around in my HDD though kodi. But as soon as I try and play a movie it gives me the error: "One or more items failed to play, check the log files"
So I check the log files, but there are never any logs added. Except the "kodi started correctly" log. 

I connected my HDD to kodi using SMB without authentication (That's how I setup my HDD to my router so i didn't have to enter any credentials if I want to access the HDD from my laptop)

I dont want to use UPnP because that doesn't work with the movie scraper. 
Also tried to connect with NFS but that does nothing. Just loads for a second and then nothing.

I've been trying everything. Reinstalled Kodi 5 times already. Added the HDD again and again. Let it re-scan everything. But still nothing works.

Please help. I'm about to give up.

Ahh yeah, my laptop has exactly the same setup with SMB to the router wireless and it works flawlessly.

Thanks in advance
Kevin
ohh yeah, I forgot to mention that really small .MP4 ( <10mb ) files work perfectly.
17:50:06.156 T:18446744072174631200 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0
It's always handy to enable debugging if you want to get more detailed log entries.

Usually a router does not the best performance when it comes to SMB servers. They usually have the most minimal of setups just to run the web interface and system internals.
However, if your laptop works fine via wifi, then you may have a cable problem (hair fractures?)

17:50:05.897 T:18446744072174631200 NOTICE: Running on PHILIPS QM163E with Android 7.1.2 API level 25, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 3.10.79
Is this your TV running Kodi? Philips are notorious for having slow hardware in their TVs.
Yes it is my TV running kodi. I don't think it is my cable either, Or my TV. I can watch 4k netflix and youtube without a hitch. But maybe those companies use a completely different form of compression. I am not an expert but I don't think netflix just sends mp4 files to everybody ;-)