Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My humble setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've upgraded some stuff on my setup, moved from Streacom FC5 case to an HDPlex H5.
Kodi Player is still fanless and the NAS is in another room but low noise so I nearly don't hear it.

The silver faceplate was changed with a black one.

What do you think? 

watch gallery

HTPC Software:
Kodi: 20.0α

HTPC Hardware:
Case: HDPlex H5 2nd Gen
PSU: 400W HiFi DC-ATX / Dell AC-DC 330W
CPU: intel i5-12600K
MB: Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB (DDR4-3200)
System: Samsung Evo 980 Pro 500GB
Remote: MCE receiver + Logitech Harmony 700/650

Ambilight:
Controller: Teensy 3.2 + OctoWS2811
LED#: 438

AV Equipment:
TV: LG 65B7D
AMP: Pioneer VSX-934

Center: Dali Zensor Vocal
Front: Dali Zensor 3
Rear: Dali Zensor Pico
Height: Dali Alteco C-1
Sub: Argon Audio Bass10

NAS:
Case: Fractal Design: Define 7XL
CPU: intel Core i5-10500
MB: ASUS Prime Z490-A Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB (DDR4-3200)
System: Samsung Evo 970 250GB
SSDs: 3 x 1TB (RAiD 0 / mounted on ASUS Hyper M.2)
SSDs: 3 x 500GB (RAiD 0)
SSDs: 1 x 500GB (NVMe)
HDDs: 4 x 14TB (RAiD 5)
HDDs: 4 x 10TB (RAiD 5)
HDDs: 4 x  8TB
HDDs: 1 x  5TB
HDDs: 1 x  4TB
HDDs: 1 x  3TB
Controller: LSi 9305-24i
Far from humble!

What OS is the NAS?

Love the ambient lighting too
(2018-09-28, 08:17)3dfx Wrote: [ -> ]OS: Ubuntu 18.04.1
Eek Is that because of the ambilight setup?
(2018-09-28, 09:17)tjay260476 Wrote: [ -> ]Far from humble!

What OS is the NAS?

Love the ambient lighting too
NAS was running FreeNAS but after I got a Server 2012 license very cheap I switched.
Company went bankrupt and I grabbed me a license during the sale Tongue

(2018-09-28, 10:12)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-09-28, 08:17)3dfx Wrote: [ -> ]OS: Ubuntu 18.04.1
Eek Is that because of the ambilight setup?       
Why eek?
It's because I couldn't get the intel driver for the Coffee Lake CPU running with hw accelration in Ubuntu 16.
So I upgraded to 18 and it runs smoothly now Smile
Running Server 2016, cheap licence here too. But that's mainly for the hypervisor. All my 'Servers' are virtual. My Media Server runs Ubuntu 16.04 with NFS.

There was a point in the server's history though running Server 2016 as a file sharing server, but the FOSS fanboy in me won out, and the entire entertainment backend and frontend is now completely FOSS.

I just like seeing how other people solve the same issue and how it's deployed Nod
Not so much difference here ^^
But my shares are via SMB.
updated pictures and spec list, more pictures will follow
Simply beautiful.
Yes, very nice.
I gotta say sometimes life is really funny....when I was searching for a fan controller for my gaming PC I came across a bundle consisting of the controller and a RGB kit for the monitor. This got me starting to think that I could not only pimp my gaming PC with RGB but also my home cinema. So the first thing I entered into google was the mainboard product name + ambilight --> first hit: KODI forum - this post!!!

First of all I need to tell you that I absolutely like your username...reminds me of my childhood and first steps with PCs and gaming. Oh boy, playing Forsaken on a Voodoo2 Cool

Well, if it comes to pseudo-ambilight via HTPC I'm a absolute beginner. Regarding the specs you posted, you use a Teensy 3.2 controller with OctoWS2811 on 438 LEDs. I looked it up and I think I got the idea of setting it up. What I lack is what I need to do so that movies played with KODi control the ambilight correctly.
Is there any starting point you could recommend to get me started with this whole new area?

My "humble" setup:

Cheers and stay safe KODIans!
Where to start?
As I can see in your picture you have a beamer?
That makes it a little bit hard. Normally you put the LEDs on the back of your TV and it "projects" the colors on to the wall. But you have no frame (TV) to do that. You would need to build a frame for that.
Many people, as did I in the past, use an Arduino as a controler for the LED stripe but with that many LEDs I couldn't get 60FPS so I switched to Teensy as it can make use of 8 parallelled stripes.
I still use boblightd but many people switched to hyperion as it's java based and also works with Windows, from there the controller gets the color-data to show on the stripes.
With boblight I got the X11-grabber and that is capturing the whole screen. But this is also depending on what system you are on.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions Smile
(2021-03-01, 09:59)3dfx Wrote: [ -> ]Where to start?
As I can see in your picture you have a beamer?
That makes it a little bit hard. Normally you put the LEDs on the back of your TV and it "projects" the colors on to the wall. But you have no frame (TV) to do that. You would need to build a frame for that.
Many people, as did I in the past, use an Arduino as a controler for the LED stripe but with that many LEDs I couldn't get 60FPS so I switched to Teensy as it can make use of 8 parallelled stripes.
I still use boblightd but many people switched to hyperion as it's java based and also works with Windows, from there the controller gets the color-data to show on the stripes.
With boblight I got the X11-grabber and that is capturing the whole screen. But this is also depending on what system you are on.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions Smile
thx for all the input. I guess I know now what to do during my vacation next week. Currently all sounds pretty new and confusing to me, but I'll dive into the topic.
As for the frame you mentioned, I can use the backside of the frame of my projection screen. I just have no clue if this idea makes sense at all or if it's technically nonsense of just too expensive.
let's see...another very interesting area :-)
I'm not sure where you from but the prices for the LEDs dropped to an affordable price for this size (5m with 60/m LED ~ 35€) Smile
I would say you need defensively a teensy as you would need a lot of LEDs and if you want it to be snappy and and fast.
The reaction time of the LEDs as a whole is a sum of all of your LEDs multiplied (in my case 438 * x ms). That's why I use a teensy board to get up the FPS