Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi does not run its web server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have an ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine created on my home nas and I installed Kodi krypton 17.4.

I set up the web server enabling the options available on port 8998.

The issue is that the process does not run: if I run the command lsof -i :8998 no process is listening on that port.

Any idea which could be the cause? There's a way to start manually?
At first I would recommend to update to Kodi 17.6. As that´s the current stable version.

And it might also be necessary to see a logfile
(2018-10-01, 06:52)idro Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is that the process does not run: if I run the command lsof -i :8998 no process is listening on that port.
You may be better off with: netstat -an | grep 8998 to check.

However, as @DaVu mentioned, checking logfiles to see what happens when you activate web control may show some diagnostic info. You know where your logfiles are kept?
I don't. Where could I find em?
The web server (web user interface) is (often?) not working well with the Ubuntu version of Kodi.

I had problems with the web user interface and fixed it by using the official release instead of the Ubuntu release. See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid2732057.
Here my logs

https://paste.kodi.tv/patinocuwi.kodi

It seems that web server starts, then stops without apparent reason
Quote:Running on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.2.8

Why is your kernel older than the one that shipped with Ubuntu 16.04? It shipped with the 4.4 series.

Your log doesn't having debugging turned on. Follow the instructions about turning on debug logging: Debug log . That will give more information about what's happening.
(2018-10-04, 03:13)NeroRome Wrote: [ -> ]The web server (web user interface) is (often?) not working well with the Ubuntu version of Kodi.
Hmmm... I can not confirm that. I've been running Kodi on ubuntu from 14.04 onwards, and never had web UI issues.

12:19:06.886 T:139749081323904 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
Please enable debugging in Kodi for a more detailed log file.
Also enable the Webserver entry in the component-specific logging.
(2018-10-04, 17:23)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-04, 03:13)NeroRome Wrote: [ -> ]The web server (web user interface) is (often?) not working well with the Ubuntu version of Kodi.
Hmmm... I can not confirm that. I've been running Kodi on ubuntu from 14.04 onwards, and never had web UI issues. 
He means the Debian-built version that ships with Ubuntu. They specifically removed the webinterface in their package: https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team...gelog#L189
In the meantime I can say that I uninstalled the kodi I found in Ubuntu and installed that one from official repository
Ok, I think I'm becoming older, because only now I understand that to keep web server on I have to keep kodi on also. It's clear that if I exit from kodi, web server stops.
I don't keep kodi on because I do things with ubuntu and I tried to access to web server in this situation. oh my god...

As I said .... I'm becoming too old for this things ....Tongue
Thread marked solved