Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Connecting at hotel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI all,

Newbie in need assistance in going online w/ Kodi while staying at hotel. I am currently residing in a hotel where having difficulties with Kodi. Kodi will recognize hotel wifi and either auto-connect but not ask for the password when setting up or ask me for the password when trying to choose wifi after setting up. Obviously, as a guest in the hotel, they are not going to give me the password, with that being said how can I bypass hotel wifi to set up Kodi while having Kodi recognize wifi and connect to it? Apparently using a wifi router as an access point or repeater seem to be a solution as noted at this forum link Kodi wi-fi issue, however, I am not sure of the process. Can someone be kind enough to provide a step-by-step guide to 1) direct router to act as an AP or repeater 2) walk me through the process of getting Kodi to recognize the router AP (or repeater) as hotel wifi. I can access hotel wifi on my phone and computer, with sometimes a step in between auto-connecting such as re-entering my email and name, but Kodi is asking for more than that. I managed to successfully download Kodi onto A95X pro using my phone as wi-fi hotspot, and want to use hotel wifi. PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you in advance.
If I am not mistaken A95X is Android tv box. Why can't you connect it to the hotel wifi the same way you connect your phone? How are you connecting your phone and computer without a password??
There are three basic types of wifi that you can have in a hotel:

1) free access - wifi without any security or password - connect and just use.
2) captive portal - connect without password, but once you try and access anything a pop-up page will appear which needs username and/or password to be entered before you can continue.
3) secured log-in - like a home wifi - needs username and password to connect and then free access.

I would expect you have 2), which is the most common type for hotels. If that is the case then once you have connected you either need to open a web browser on your device, try to connect to any homepage on the internet and enter the required credentials there before continuing with Kodi. Alternatively look at this add-on which is a very basic web browser for Kodi but is usually enough to handle such captive portal logins.

If that doesn't work then you'll need to use an intermediate hotspot device which is capable of logging into the hotel network fully and then re-broadcasting its own wifi network and bridging between the two.
I recently came across a variant of case 2 above -
the page required a phone number on which to recieve a text 'message' providing something to be keyed in to the page.
As I was in a Russian hotel in St Petersburg at the time, I didn't feel like disclosing a mobile phone number (cost to receive text msg £2), so the reception used theirs.