Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-08-08, 05:10)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-07, 20:37)RKCRLR Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi hanging during startup?
Turn off settings>media>library>update library on start see if that does anything. A debug log would certainly help, might indicate a web service that is holding up a quick start. Kodi needs to exit properly, as it saves settings and writes to the log if this process is interrupted you might end up with partial writes and file corruption.
Thanks!  Turning off the library update seems to have done the trick.  Kodi now starts within a few seconds.  
So, what is the best workaround for Kodi not doing a library update on start?
(2021-08-09, 17:15)RKCRLR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-08, 05:10)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-07, 20:37)RKCRLR Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi hanging during startup?
Turn off settings>media>library>update library on start see if that does anything. A debug log would certainly help, might indicate a web service that is holding up a quick start. Kodi needs to exit properly, as it saves settings and writes to the log if this process is interrupted you might end up with partial writes and file corruption.
Thanks!  Turning off the library update seems to have done the trick.  Kodi now starts within a few seconds.  

Do you really need it updated that often?  I update manually, when needed.  From the Movies or Music screens, just click left, and it's at the bottom of the menu.  I only need to do this about once a week, if that, but if you're adding files more often than that, maybe that's too much of a hassle.
(2021-08-09, 21:10)Tarkus_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-09, 17:15)RKCRLR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-08, 05:10)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Turn off settings>media>library>update library on start see if that does anything. A debug log would certainly help, might indicate a web service that is holding up a quick start. Kodi needs to exit properly, as it saves settings and writes to the log if this process is interrupted you might end up with partial writes and file corruption.

Do you really need it updated that often?  I update manually, when needed.  From the Movies or Music screens, just click left, and it's at the bottom of the menu.  I only need to do this about once a week, if that, but if you're adding files more often than that, maybe that's too much of a hassle.
I agree, its not a big deal.  Mostly for recordings to show up in TV Shows.  Just wondering if there was an option other than manual updates.  Definitely worth getting over the long Kodi boot.
Wow, I also have a lg e series and the dv logo pops up and this is going through my denon.
I have numerous firesticks 4k and a cube. I am running one of fritschfiretv 18.8 builds so I would not have audio issues?. Am I safe to upgrade to 19.1 and is as stable as what I am running.

I just use mine to stream local files and not sure if there are any advantages to 19.1

Do I download one of these instead?
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

Thanks
(2021-08-20, 21:00)blamman Wrote: [ -> ]Am I safe to upgrade to 19.1 and is as stable as what I am running.

Yes. I'm sure all of us upgraded to that by now. It contains all of fritsch's fixes and more.
(2021-08-23, 01:25)Kodroid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-20, 21:00)blamman Wrote: [ -> ]Am I safe to upgrade to 19.1 and is as stable as what I am running.

Yes. I'm sure all of us upgraded to that by now. It contains all of fritsch's fixes and more.

Thankyou
Just tested the LPCM workaround on current firmware (6.2.8.1) and Kodi Matrix 19.1.

Can confirm that:
- Passthrough settings don't seem to do anything on Kodi with latest FireTV
- Setting FireTV Surround Sound setting to PCM and Kodi's audio to 5.1 without passthrough does give me lossless 5.1 LPCM and Kodi did decode HD audio for it. Just setting these values didn't first work though, I kept getting 2ch PCM sound at first. Rebooting FireTV stick after setting the values did the trick.
- Doing same as above but using 7.1 doesn't output any audio from the side channels, only from front and back surround ones.
- Can set Dolby Digital+ setting to FireTV Surround Sound option and it will transcode everything to DD+ from kodi. Didn't test if it gave 7.1 or just 5.1.

I'm kinda bummed about all this because I didn't realize the whole passthrough disabling part and let Amazon update the stick to latest (which blows that efuse that prevents downgrading firmware the stick afterwards) so I'm now stuck with either DD+ or 5.1 LPCM for kodi. Would be lovely if there was something that could be done to at least run 7.1 LPCM properly.
Am I missing something, or is this really not capable of decoding VC-1 in hardware? (I'm using Matrix 19.1, stable release).
(2021-08-29, 21:35)Shasarak Wrote: [ -> ]Am I missing something, or is this really not capable of decoding VC-1 in hardware? (I'm using Matrix 19.1, stable release).

Correct, no VC-1. Fortunately this isn't used except for some ancient blu-rays.
Is Dolby Vision supposed to work in Kodi 19.1 on AFTV4K? I have a file that when played by Kodi on AFTV it has the green/purple colors and the TV Dolby Vision notification does not come on. The same file plays fine on the same AFTV via the Plex player and Dolby Vision comes on on the TV. Also, same file plays in Kodi on the Google TV Chromecast.
(2021-08-31, 03:57)sirmedia Wrote: [ -> ]Is Dolby Vision supposed to work in Kodi 19.1 on AFTV4K? I have a file that when played by Kodi on AFTV it has the green/purple colors and the TV Dolby Vision notification does not come on. The same file plays fine on the same AFTV via the Plex player and Dolby Vision comes on on the TV. Also, same file plays in Kodi on the Google TV Chromecast.
I just did the test again, DV test files from Dolby website work fine.
LG B8 shows the HDR logo at the start and color looks fine.
(2021-08-31, 03:57)sirmedia Wrote: [ -> ]Is Dolby Vision supposed to work in Kodi 19.1 on AFTV4K? I have a file that when played by Kodi on AFTV it has the green/purple colors and the TV Dolby Vision notification does not come on. The same file plays fine on the same AFTV via the Plex player and Dolby Vision comes on on the TV. Also, same file plays in Kodi on the Google TV Chromecast.

That's normally a sign of a single layer ICtCp instead of YCbCr/YUV encoded HEVC file being played back as if it were YCbCr/YUV - with the I channel mapped to Y, the Ct and Cp channels mapped to Cb and Cr, with no conversion - I believe.  Single layer DV, professionally mastered, is usually ICtCp colour-space encoded.  

However there are non-standard single layer DV files created by software that rips DV UHD BDs, and that approach takes the HDR10 YCbCr/YUV Base layer, ignores any DV Enhancement layer (often - but not always - the Enhancement layer doesn't actually include much), and just muxes in the DV metadata RPUs (that metadata provides improved tonemapping/display of the HDR10 Base Layer (plus additional enhancement layer data that may get you to 12 bits) on DV displays).  That non-standard (?) DV file will be in YCbCr/YUV format - and so will usually be less problematic.

Bottom line - not all single layer "DV" files are the same, and not all playback sw+hw solutions can currently cope with all flavours.
Stable release (may 19.1) it's the best version ?

Thank you
So I think this is best audio setting for me, at this time.

Fire TV Stick 4k : OS 6.2.8.1
Kodi : 19.1 stable

Fire TV Audio setting : Best Match
Kodi Audio Setting :
Audio Decoder
  Audio output device : AudioTrack(IEC) (recommended)
  Number of channels : 7.1
  Output configuration : Best match
Audio Passthrough
  Allow passthrough : ON
  Passthrough output device : AudioTrack(RAW)
  AC3 and E-AC3 capable receiver : ON

With this setting, Dolby Digital(AC3) and Dolby Digital plus(EAC3, even with Atmos) will passthrough.
Any other codecs, like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, AAC, LPCM will be decoded to multichannel LPCM, up to 7.1ch.