Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-10-29, 09:05)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]How are you exiting from Kodi?

If you're just closing it or force-stopping it, rather than using the quit option in the power menu then you may be corrupting the databases etc (those are written and updated on exit from the app), which could perhaps cause it.
It varies: Properly exiting from the menu, hitting the home button, or leaving it idle long enough that Amazon's screen saver kicks in, which seems to kick you back to the main menu when you wake it up.

I have thought about this and tried to exit from the menu most of the time, but I still see the problem even right after a proper exit. If it's the case that a single bad exit can permanently damage the database then I think it's hopeless, I'll never be able to 100% avoid them.

I'm running 19.2 and will try 19.3 but I'm not hopeful that it will make a difference. I believe I was on 18.9 when the problem started happening a few months back, but I had been using it for probably a year before that with no issues. I suspect there was a change on Amazon's end that's causing it. I posted about it on reddit a little while ago and other people said they have the issue too.
Best to set up a screen saver in Kodi to stop the Fire TV's screen saver from kicking in.  Since there's no clean way back into Kodi (to exit properly, for instance) once that happens.
(2021-10-29, 20:23)Tarkus_ Wrote: [ -> ]Best to set up a screen saver in Kodi to stop the Fire TV's screen saver from kicking in.  Since there's no clean way back into Kodi (to exit properly, for instance) once that happens.

Does that require an addon? I did try enabling the built-in options to put the display to sleep as well as shutdown when idle, but they didn't seem to make a difference.
(2021-10-29, 20:23)Tarkus_ Wrote: [ -> ]Best to set up a screen saver in Kodi to stop the Fire TV's screen saver from kicking in.  Since there's no clean way back into Kodi (to exit properly, for instance) once that happens.
I just set the FireTV screensaver to never kick in and it never gives me a problem. I also put Kodi's screensaver to "None". I never have any issue with either. It's great.
(2021-10-30, 01:35)Kodroid Wrote: [ -> ]
I just set the FireTV screensaver to never kick in and it never gives me a problem. I also put Kodi's screensaver to "None". I never have any issue with either. It's great.

On my FS 4k I just leave Kodi on "idle", (Screensaver set to "None") and it stays on indefinitely, although FS Screensaver is set to kick in in 5min; it does not interfere when Kodi is running...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've done a clean install of Kodi 19.3 on my Fire Stick and disabled Amazon's screen saver. I'll report back with the results after a week or so.
(2021-11-01, 00:13)FolkSong Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've done a clean install of Kodi 19.3 on my Fire Stick and disabled Amazon's screen saver. I'll report back with the results after a week or so.
Big update: the test above was a failure, the problem came back within a couple days. BUT I happened to find a reddit thread about this issue which contained the solution: clear more storage space. It's strange because I already had 0.95 GB free. But I gave it shot and deleted some apps to clear 1.5 GB, and the problem is completely gone. I wonder why it needs so much free space.
(2021-02-20, 12:32)User 309201 Wrote: [ -> ]Bear in mind that you can use the Kodi Netflix Add-On instead of the Netflix app and that will enable native frame-rate playback (albeit with an arguably less nice UI).

What is a problem, however, is that some content on Netflix is 24.000Hz rather than 23.976Hz, and the Fire Stick can't play that correctly by any mechanism - with the output set to 23.976Hz, playing 24.000Hz material, it skips a frame about once every 40 seconds. Very few media players can handle 24.000Hz Netflix material correctly.
Do you know when Amazon removed 24.000Hz support?  I remember testing this a few years ago and it was switching correctly between 23.976 and 24.000 when manually toggling the refresh rate inside Kodi.  Now both refresh rates map to 23.976.  60.000 is also not working and uses the 59.940 timings.  Seems like a bug somewhere since both 24.000 and 60.000 are enumerated in the list of available refresh rates.  Anyone test if all refresh rates still work in Amazon's Prime Video app?
(2021-10-29, 21:19)FolkSong Wrote: [ -> ]

Does that require an addon? I did try enabling the built-in options to put the display to sleep as well as shutdown when idle, but they didn't seem to make a difference.

There are screen savers available in Kodi's official repo.  Go to Settings > Interface > Screensaver to download and/or enable a screen saver.
(2021-11-05, 08:50)FolkSong Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-11-01, 00:13)FolkSong Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've done a clean install of Kodi 19.3 on my Fire Stick and disabled Amazon's screen saver. I'll report back with the results after a week or so.
Big update: the test above was a failure, the problem came back within a couple days. BUT I happened to find a reddit thread about this issue which contained the solution: clear more storage space. It's strange because I already had 0.95 GB free. But I gave it shot and deleted some apps to clear 1.5 GB, and the problem is completely gone. I wonder why it needs so much free space.
The screensaver eats up storage space. It's a big issue I'm surprised Amazon doesn't resolve.
Hi!

I'm so sorry if this question it's answered, I have looked for it and I didn't found it.

For playing DV files, it's mp4 or mkv container? I have an Nvidia Shield and the working ones are the mp4 files... same here?

Thanks!
(2022-02-01, 13:46)clopezi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

I'm so sorry if this question it's answered, I have looked for it and I didn't found it.

For playing DV files, it's mp4 or mkv container? I have an Nvidia Shield and the working ones are the mp4 files... same here?

Thanks!
You want mp4 for now.
Seeing as passthrough still worked on 6.2.7.6 , has anyone tried to root/downgrade their devices to this build to get it back ?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide...6.4208859/

EDIT: I do see mention of a blown e-fuse...   Hmmmm
(2022-02-03, 07:28)abudabi Wrote: [ -> ]Seeing as passthrough still worked on 6.2.7.6 , has anyone tried to root/downgrade their devices to this build to get it back ?

It's a lost cause at this point unless somebody can find an exploit but by then we will have moved to the Max or something else.

It's still a great device, though. We just shouldn't have expected a stick to be a good home theater source forever.
I've got Kodi (19.4) running on a Fire TV 4K (6.2.8.7) and I'm streaming via DLNA (also tried SMB) some video files that include DTS and DTS HD track ...

When I have audio output set to Fixed at 192 khz, it seems to work just fine, but when I do Best Match & passthrough using audiotrack raw it works for a bit,
but basically after playing and stopping a few files I finally get no more sound, and after that I cannot even start playback and sometimes even exit Kodi.

(I have a Yamaha RX-V2085 but I'm not sure that really matters)

Is that fairly normal, I assume there's no fix for this issue?