Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The Stereo, bit perfect, CD rip playback is fine. You still have to turn on upmix, in Kodi settings and change speaker output to 5.0.

Whatever you get out of kodi after that is NOT the unalterend CD, as this would be just Stereo. Kodi will use FL and FR to create SL and SR as well as FC.
(2020-12-25, 10:41)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The Stereo, bit perfect, CD rip playback is fine. You still have to turn on upmix, in Kodi settings and change speaker output to 5.0.

Whatever you get out of kodi after that is NOT the unalterend CD, as this would be just Stereo. Kodi will use FL and FR to create SL and SR as well as FC.

Not on my firestick 4k with the settings I mentioned. I have mentioned this before the new update. All the other settings mess with the output. Upmix turned on and speakers set to 5.0 gets unaltered CD @ 16/44. Any other settings screws up bit perfect. Yes I realize the settings are quirky but whatever works.
I just moved my Fire TV Stick 4K from an existing TV (directly plugged into the TV) directly into my new receiver that's connected to a different TV.  In my Kodi installation, I have allow passthrough on and have AC3, E-AC3 and DTS all checked.  I get no audio when playing AC3 or DTS content.  If I play 2 or 5 channel AAC, that works fine.  My receiver certainly supports AC3 and DTS.

I don't know what I'm missing here.  This should be simple.

Edit: Wow, is this something that Amazon just recently broke?  I tested this with my fire stick when I got the AVR and I'm pretty sure it all worked so I ordered a new fire stick and moved this old one to my AVR and now it doesn't work?
(2020-12-25, 23:17)himey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-25, 10:41)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]

Not on my firestick 4k with the settings I mentioned. I have mentioned this before the new update. All the other settings mess with the output. Upmix turned on and speakers set to 5.0 gets unaltered CD @ 16/44. Any other settings screws up bit perfect. Yes I realize the settings are quirky but whatever works.

Post your debug log. You will clearly see that kodi is generating 5 channels. That your firmware down mixes it again still does not make it bit perfect. Though: as said before: if you are happy, stay happy.
(2020-12-26, 07:21)lexluthor Wrote: [ -> ]I just moved my Fire TV Stick 4K from an existing TV (directly plugged into the TV) directly into my new receiver that's connected to a different TV.  In my Kodi installation, I have allow passthrough on and have AC3, E-AC3 and DTS all checked.  I get no audio when playing AC3 or DTS content.  If I play 2 or 5 channel AAC, that works fine.  My receiver certainly supports AC3 and DTS.

Edit: Wow, is this something that Amazon just recently broke?  I tested this with my fire stick when I got the AVR and I'm pretty sure it all worked so I ordered a new fire stick and moved this old one to my AVR and now it doesn't work?

Yes. Sucks :-(
(2020-12-26, 08:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-26, 07:21)lexluthor Wrote: [ -> ]I just moved my Fire TV Stick 4K from an existing TV (directly plugged into the TV) directly into my new receiver that's connected to a different TV.  In my Kodi installation, I have allow passthrough on and have AC3, E-AC3 and DTS all checked.  I get no audio when playing AC3 or DTS content.  If I play 2 or 5 channel AAC, that works fine.  My receiver certainly supports AC3 and DTS.

Yes. Sucks :-(
Ouch, so is this something that Amazon or Kodi might fix or is this looking bleak?

I have a 5.1 setup, if I just disable passthrough, the fire stick will just transcode all of my audio, but the quality should be close enough?  So something that was DTS, will be sent to the receiver as DD+?  And since I only have 5.1, I'm not losing anything?
Kodi has nothing to fix here. Amazon plain broke it :-(. At least you can still do AC3 and dd+ as well as Multi Channel pcm that they recode themselves go dd+.

With v19 or fritschfiretv build, you can choose the RAW PT device instead of the IEC one to still do PT.

It is technically beyond me how they could break IEC format without intention. The really only thing comes to my mind that it was an off by one, e.g. if not AC3 and not DD+ encode it ... with plain forgetting about the android internal IEC format.
(2020-12-26, 16:53)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi has nothing to fix here. Amazon plain broke it :-(. At least you can still do AC3 and dd+ as well as Multi Channel pcm that they recode themselves go dd+.

With v19 or fritschfiretv build, you can choose the RAW PT device instead of the IEC one to still do PT.

It is technically beyond me how they could break IEC format without intention. The really only thing comes to my mind that it was an off by one, e.g. if not AC3 and not DD+ encode it ... with plain forgetting about the android internal IEC format.
So considering I only have a 5.1 setup, if I set the official build to passthrough, everything will just transcode to DD+ and will sound close enough to the original source?

I do have a new Fire TV 4K Stick coming tomorrow so maybe I'll put the fritschfiretv build on that one to start.  Will that only do passthrough for AC3 and DD+ though?  What will it do with DTS content?

And if I stick with that build, does it wind up getting the updates from the official version implemented?  I'd rather not have to rebuild my Kodi implementation down the road.
(2020-12-26, 16:53)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi has nothing to fix here. Amazon plain broke it :-(. At least you can still do AC3 and dd+ as well as Multi Channel pcm that they recode themselves go dd+.
The other twist is that, for unknown reasons, FireTV now always downmixes 5.1 PCM to 2.0. Though not for everyone it seems. AVR dependent maybe?

In my case, I can only get 5.1 out by using Kodi's AC3 transcoding. Before the recent FireTV updates, I could use 5.1 fixed.
Yeah. When I developed the v19 audio improvement I had the firetv with the firmware out of that time. They fully supported the standard Api. So all this code was merged into kodi.

So, if you want that kodi does the job, use v19 or fritschfiretv build, NOT the official v18.
You have to choose the RAW PT device in kodi settings for audio.

Set speakers to 2.0
Enable dolby transcoding
Enable AC3
Enable dd+
Disable all the rest.

In firetv audio settings choose best available.

That way: dd+ will directly be output, AC3 as well, every other format including lpcm will be transcoded to AC3 by kodi itself.

Obviously you wil loose real lpcm output.

For the firetv cube I found lpcm still working nicely. On this device I plain disable passthrough and let the amazon FW do their dd+ encoding...

If bit perfect is needed get another device 😉
(2020-12-26, 16:53)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]At least you can still do AC3 and dd+ as well as Multi Channel pcm that they recode themselves go dd+.
It may depend on setup/AVR. On my Denon AVR I get nothing from AC3 now. I tried powering them off, checked for "updates", nothing. I'm using fritschfiretv 10/24 build. I should try the RAW device -- do you set that for both pass-through and in the audio settings? It seems there are 2 places where you can make a choice.
(2020-12-26, 18:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. When I developed the v19 audio improvement I had the firetv with the firmware out of that time. They fully supported the standard Api. So all this code was merged into kodi.

So, if you want that kodi does the job, use v19 or fritschfiretv build, NOT the official v18.
You have to choose the RAW PT device in kodi settings for audio.

Set speakers to 2.0
Enable dolby transcoding
Enable AC3
Enable dd+
Disable all the rest.

In firetv audio settings choose best available.

That way: dd+ will directly be output, AC3 as well, every other format including lpcm will be transcoded to AC3 by kodi itself.

Obviously you wil loose real lpcm output.

For the firetv cube I found lpcm still working nicely. On this device I plain disable passthrough and let the amazon FW do their dd+ encoding...

If bit perfect is needed get another device 😉
If I go to v19, is this what I want? kodi-19.0-Matrix_beta2-armeabi-v7a.apk   And once 19 final is released, I don't need to rebuild my installation?  I just can continue to install betas and then the final over the top?  If I go to fritschfiretv, I need to start over?

Was just playing around with this on my Yamaha and on v18, with passthrough off, DTS, AC3 and DD+ all play fine, but AAC 2.0 only plays out of the fronts and as frequent drops.  Will v18 with passthrough as you noted before fix that?
v18 is EOD and won't receive anything.
fritschfiretv is EOD. Will stay as is for ever.
v19 is the future, I'd just go with nightlies.
(2020-12-15, 07:34)mountainhill2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-15, 03:19)crawfish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-15, 02:18)88keyz Wrote: [ -> ]Those settings do not result in multichannel PCM output on my FTV4K with 6.2.7.7.  Stick on "Best Available" with Kodi set to "AudioTrack (IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)" and Fixed 7.1.  FTV4K is connected directly to my Denon AVR.  Tried multiple files, all playback as Stereo.  Also tried "AudioTrack (RAW), Android IEC packer", same result, Stereo output.
That's got to be due to some HDMI implementation difference between our AVRs. Mine's a Pioneer VSX-1124.

I'm on Leia 18.9.
Setting AFTV4K Audio Output to "Stereo".
Kodi output to 5.1 (as I only have 5.1 speaker system)
AVR Pioneer SC-LX77
Kodi Multi-channel audio (AAC, DTS, Dolby) all output as 5.1 PCM by AVR.

If AFTV4K Audio Output is on "Best Available", Kodi multi-channel audio all transcoded to DD+

I don't think there's such a thing as "some HDMI implementation difference between AVRs" in this case.
It's really about AFTV4K/Kodi's implementation.

I forgot to mention another thing on my setup.
I use HDMI audio extractor.

AFTV4K --> HDMI audio extractor --> HDMI 2.0 --> TV
                                                          |--> HDMI 1.4b --> AVR (Pioneer SC-LX77) --> Speakers

Maybe the HDMI Audio Extractor play some part in allowing me to get 5.1 LPCM output.

I'm using HDMI Audio Extractor since my TV is capable of 4K HDR 60Hz, while my AVR can only passthrough 4K 30Hz without HDR.
Uplug it and let us know :-)