Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sony ZD9: Kodi 17.6 is running 1920x1080 only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a 3D-enthusiast I have gotten my hands on one of the last Sony 65ZD9 lately, moving my beloved Sony 47W805 to the bedroom.

I was not expecting too much from Sony's Android-TV-implementation, but since I was using an old PC as HTPC (capable of running Guitar-Hero and Rocksmith) I didn't think I would get any problems until I get some 4k-media (which I have by now) - the old PC is not capable of playing 4k, and the PC-industry is obviously not seeing a market for low-budget-video-cards. 

But I was completely SHOCKED to see what an official Kodi running natively on the ZD9 can do - or better: can NOT do. 

Major problem: it's running 1920x1080. Everything, not only the UI. 4k-media is played in 1920x1080/60p
Next (kown) problem is, that the "Action menu" stops the playback. There seems to be some workaround, and I read that Kodi 18 will solve this - but... oh well. 
BIG problem: Kodi running on the ZD9 is disabling the 3D-capabilities of the TV! That seems to be a Android-problem, see below.

So I have a 4K-HDR-3D-TV running an operating-system which allows me to run kodi natively - which disables ALL major features. Great!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read up on these problems, finding out that it's probably all Sony's fault. Oh well. 
Upgrading the Windows-PC to full-UHD-capability would require a total GPU-overkill - a nVidia 1080, just for playing video reliably.
At least I can switch to 3D when using the Windows-Kodi.

So I got myself a 50€-S912-Android-TV-box, which should be capable of playing 4k/60 and 3D without problems. Found out that it's VERY laggy using kodi, AND the Sony-TV still refuses to enable 3D-functionality. Weird. 

Since my chosen 2/16GB-variant seemed to be too limited anyways I got myself another S912-box with 3/32GB. Same problem (plus it overheated quickly and seems to be defective by now).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the problem here? 
The old Non-Android-Sony from the W8-series is happily auto-switching to 3D whenever I play a 3D-movie with kodi, no matter which hardware I use (nVidia-ION-HTPC with Windows or Linux, "big" Windows-10-PC of any kind, both S912-Android-boxes), but the "flagship" ZD9 is denying the 3D-function in all configurations except Kodi on Windows-PC (which can't play 4k).

Anyony knows how to get 3D working, using an android-TV-box? 

Right now I am considering a J3455-based Intel-NUK, but so far it all seems like throwing money in the wind for nothing.
Sony is the problem. Please use the forum search. If you can return the TV and don't buy Sony again.
If you want a 3D-TV AND a high-quality-panel... well, selling the ZD9 is not an option. There are no current 3D-TVs anyway, let alone with such a panel.

Anyways, I have installed the unoffical SPMC-fork (which is being discontinued), and it runs at full 4k-resolution and has no problem with the "Action Menu". 

BTW: There are obscure Kodi-variants pre-installed on the China-TV-Boxes, which even feature the option to switch-off Kodi's scaling completely, which is highly recommendable with todays TVs, which usually are much better at scaling than Kodi. 

Of course I don't want to use unofficial builds at all.
The 4K thing is totally wrong. Videos in Kodi are 4K on Sony ATV, see this thread for further info.