Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video source changes IP - NFS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using Kodi with Xbox One X and a MyCloud running NFS protocol for streaming videos.

Every time I need to reset the router for whatever reason or disconnect power, the IP address resets which then means I have to remove, clean and then rescan all my sources AGAIN in Kodi. I've had to do it about 4 times already and it really is super annoying.

I have a FireTV as back up for when this happens, but it doesn't seem to happen because it's using SMB.

Is there a way to avoid this, or am I stuffed because of NFS?

Thanks guys.
(2018-10-09, 09:35)cv15xbmc Wrote: [ -> ]Every time I need to reset the router for whatever reason or disconnect power
Personally I fixate the IP addresses of most of my network devices via the router. It's easier than having to set a fixed Ip address on each device.
These entries shouldn't be erased after a router restart or power failure. If for whatever reason you need to reset your router, you might want to think about getting a different/better one.

Or, you can set a fixed IP address on your Cloud NAS.

(2018-10-09, 09:35)cv15xbmc Wrote: [ -> ]I have a FireTV as back up for when this happens, but it doesn't seem to happen because it's using SMB.
Is there a way to avoid this, or am I stuffed because of NFS?
Your router's DHCP may issue the same IP's to the same connected devices the next time or not, the network file protocol you use (NFS/SMB/FTP/etc..) however is in no way involved in that process.
It was a bit of a struggle trying to understand that, but in my MyCloud settings there is an option on NFS configuration to specify an IP address for host.

"Enter IP addresses that you would like to allow NFS access to this share. To allow all IP addresses, enter *"

I currently have an * in both shared folders. Would I put the IP address of my client device (in this case xbox one x) in there? Would that fix my issue?
No, that would only allow the XBOX (or whatever is on the IP address you set) to access the MyCloud via NFS, and nothing else.

What he means is that your router is currently assigning the IP address on the MyCloud, and as it's not fixed then when you reboot the router, everything gets redone and the chances are your MyCloud is getting a new IP address and so Kodi can't find it where it expects it to be.

What you need to do is set the MyCloud to have a static IP address. That can be done for most of the in the dashboard settings of the MyCloud, but the simpler way is normally to do it in the router itself. If you have a look in the manual for your router it should tell you how to set static (fixed) IP addresses for its client devices.
Ahh ok. Thanks for that.