Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Native RSS Feeds Reader Client for Internet Audio/Video Podcasts (like Boxee has)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'd like to be able to add podcasts to my music by going to add source and then entering the URL for a podcast's RSS feed. Then once I enter the added source, it should download and parse the downloaded XML and make all linked Audio (or video) files streamable. Is this feasable?
Umb has already written a podcast plugin, you'll need to generate an OPML file for it first though and transfer that accross.

Search and you'll find the plugin.

To generate an opml (containing one or more podcasts) one way I use a lot (there are many) is to save the feed on Opera web browser then choose:

File > Import and Export > Export news feeds.

Umbs plugin works for both video and audio podcasts. Only downside is that you must generate the feed yourself. Having said that when you get it umb has a file in it which has quite a few entire podcast directories on it. Wink
Hi all,

I'm seeing a lot of video podcasting, several shows from revision3, crankygeeks, dl.tv, 1up show.

I'am alpha testing boxee and i love their native integration of internet video. Just add a new source, any rss feed from a show, and it will be added. Even better it streams the videos, so i get instant access to the show. It's really great that boxee already comes packed with a lot of shows pre-configured.

But i really miss the really great skins from xbmc, and all the support.
I just prefer xbmc... I'm using xbmc from back then when it was xbmp, so i'd say i'm in love with it and i feel like cheating if i go now to boxee. Rolleyes

Is there anyone porting this new features from boxee to xbmc? Since it shares the same base code... Laugh
You could try requesting a plugin for said sites in the appropriate forum. I think some of them are already available.
monty2k Wrote:Is there anyone porting this new features from boxee to xbmc? Since it shares the same base code.
Boxee Alpha testers sign a NDA, and we are in any case paying Boxee the curtice of waiting until they are done with their internal Alpha testing phase, when they release it publicly then we will see if there are any open source code that we want to backport into XBMC.
I *think* Navi-X already does RSS similar to boxee. I don't use it though so I'm not 100% sure.

Having said that, native RSS sure would be nice...
I'm also interested by a native Media RSS or RSS 2.0 or <enclusure> RSS type source for

- podcast in the music library;
- vodcast/webcast/webisode in the video library
- text feed (already included)

In fact I don't understand this feature is not yet in XBMC.

Why natively ? Because RSS podcast or vodcast is more than just a video. You also can retrieve data, images, etc...
A plugin or a third party software is a solution but is not optimal. A RSS also contain metadata information that could be automatically imported in the XBMC database.

I'm also interested by adding a Media RSS source in XBMC

More info here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post268520
ehm,

rss:// sources was snatched from boxee a wee half a year back.
So this Media RSS features may arrives ?

Media RSS is a really simple technology that can easy turn the web into a great VOD (Video On Demand) free provider. At this moment I'm still using Windows Media Center (like a lot of other users) because Windows Media Center and its RSS plugin is still the only one that is able to deal with RSS.
spiff Wrote:ehm,

rss:// sources was snatched from boxee a wee half a year back.

This feature is very well hidden.

To use this, add source > type rss://<feedaddress>

So how can we design the interface for it to be more accessible by any Joe Average user?
How can we make adding an RSS feed as easy ass adding a plugin that is on the drive?

Any thoughts and ideas on how to make it really simple to add RSS feeds via the GUI?

[EDIT]: Maybe start by calling it "Video Podcast" and "Audio Podcast" under Add Source?
"Add Source" => "Browse" => "Podcast" => "Type in URL" (with "rss://" already written)?

Perhaps also include a list of popular Podcasts by default (categorized, as Boxee does)?
Also create a framework to make it possible for scripts/plugins to add feeds to this list?

What about handling subscription, and automatic download when new content is added?

PS! I'm sure that Boxee has updated their RSS reader, anyone want to port the updates?

Huh
TheBoxMan Wrote:Umb has already written a podcast plugin, you'll need to generate an OPML file for it first though and transfer that accross.

Search and you'll find the plugin.
Can't find the plugin.Can someone post link of this plugin by Umb.

i am using navi-x script for vodcast and podcast's RSS feed.
It is also able to share your playlist with others.
For a start, add some documentation to the wiki about it.
jmarshall Wrote:For a start, add some documentation to the wiki about it.
OK, I just started a basic wiki article here http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=RSS_Feeds with what I know.

Please feed free to update/correct it to make easier to understand Wink
I also updated http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Types_of_Media_Sources with short summery of RSS Feeds.
Pages: 1 2 3 4