Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Up date Kodi on Amazon Firestick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Can any one help please (I'm as thick as two short planks so your advice and help will need to take me through the process step by step)!

I have an Amazon Firestick which came preloaded with stuff including an old version of Kodi

Before loading latest Kodi version, do I need to uninstall current version and any addons which may well be illegal if so, how?

Tried to install latest Kodi following Kodi instructions but could not proceed beyond section 11 having checked my address is set up as default in my Amazon online account?

I have never set up anything in the My Account section shown on the Firestick menu, when I viewed this, its says :- Hello Test 3 with a side note - Deregister your Amazon Account and register a new one with another option shown “Sync Amazon Content with a side note – Sync your purchased Amazon content?

Should I deregister and re- register as per my online Amazon account?

Thank you for your help.
As you were advised before, we don't support installations containing banned addons (wiki).
Ok, let's clear things up.

There's normally no need to uninstall anything to upgrade. That said if your original install has been messed around with or customised, that may block the upgrade process from working fully and correctly.

Plus as your install was one with banned addons (wiki), our advice would be to remove it and start again with a fresh clean one and to be careful about what you add back in. There are stickied threads here that will help guide you on doing that, and if you get stuck we can help too. But be aware we will not assist with reinstalling anything that violates our piracy policy (wiki).

It sounds like whoever you bought that stick off is a cowboy punting badly set up devices with pre-installed software full of illegal add-ons and who knows what else. So yes if I was you I'd unregister it and do that properly too with your own Amazon I'd.
By the way, your stick is an example of what's known as a "fully loaded" box.

See here for a blog post on our views on those...
Thanks Darren for your help and advice.
Having read "views" linked in you last reply it looks like I was one of those mislead when purchasing my Firestick thinking it was all Kodi approved stuff preloaded.
Unfortunately it happens, and some unscrupulous people make a buck off the volunteer work of the team.

The ideal case would be if you can return it for a refund. Failing that I'd probably wipe the thing clean and start fresh and take it as a learning experience. If you do go the latter route we can try to assist if needed.