Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist details not updating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
    anyone else noticed that if you add a new artist the information retrieved doesn't seem to stick.  After an artist refresh you can see all the artist information including bio etc but if you move away from that artist and back again all the information is gone.  This is something new as I added an artist a few weeks back with no issues. 

I have uploaded a log file that shows some sort of "SQL: [MyMusic72.db] Abort due to constraint violation".   The log is http://paste.kodi.tv/riceyotizi

Any thoughts on why this is occurring.

cheers

John
You seem to like finding scraper issues John Smile
Have you seen this problem for any other artists other than this "Johnny Cash" example?

What the log shows is that the scraped data for that specific artist is upsetting the DB and it fails to update the artist entry (hence your "not sticking").  My guess would be that you have two Johnny Cash entries, one with mbid and one without. This is trying to give a scraped mbid to the one without, and hitting a constraint violation (because mbid need to be unique across the artist table).

To be sure I would need to see your MyMusic72.db (send me a PM with link), or you could go db diving yourself if you have the skills. Look for strMusicBrainzArtistID = d43d12a1-2dc9-4257-a2fd-0a3bb1081b86' in the artist table.
Hi Dave,

just like to keep things interesting B-).    Johnny Cash is the only one I have noticed, as I put this one up as a single update rather than a part of a total rebuild.  Some of my other artists are missing details but I have not seen this issue before.

I have PMed you the link to my MyMusic72.db

Kind regards

John
Always interesting to inspect other users databases Smile

My guess was correct, you alreday have an entry with the Johnny Cash mbid d43d12a1-2dc9-4257-a2fd-0a3bb1081b86. How you got there I can't quite tell, but I can make suggestions where to look. 

The exisiting artist entry is named "Johnny Cash The Tennessee Two", that is linked as song artist for all the songs on album "16 Biggest Hits" by Johnny Cash. That seems to have been tagged with mbids, but two tracks have artist sort names including "The Tennesse Two". Digging deeper there are releases of that song credited with both Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Two, so that might be how things got jumbled. See
https://musicbrainz.org/release/5ce67cab...16b7515ea3

To tidy up I suggest that you:
1) Move the music files of that album away from you music source then clean your music library from System > Media > Library (and ensure that you scroll down to music clean library rather than do video by accident). That will removed the now orphaned "Johnny Cash The Tennessee Two" artist entry.
2) Retag that album using Picard and release https://musicbrainz.org/release/91895f0f...835ae6f4e7 ensuring all tracks are from the same release.
3) Move the files back to a Kodi music source and rescan library.

When the album is added it should find the exitsing "Johnny Cash" (without mbid) entry made when "Greatest Hits: The Sun Records Years"  was scanned and match names giving that entry the  mbid it has. Then when it comes to scraping artist info there will only be one Johnny Cash entry (with an mbid) and it will scrape accuratly using it.

Unfortunately scanning builds the library entries cumulatively, so there is no quicker way to unravel this kind of mix up.
Letting someone like me with tagging OCD see your db is always risky Smile
I can see the signs of some other tagging anomalies, and  I have some suggestons for fixes in your tagging that will improve your Kodi experience.

The main issue is songs with multiple song artists that Kodi has no way to separate into the individual artists e.g. "Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity" or "Status Quo/The Beach Boys". Kodi tries, but commas, ampersand, slash (no spaces)  and words like "and" can be part of a band name e.g. "Earth, Wind & Fire", "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers" or "AC/DC", so you need to give it some hints in the tagging. There are several ways to do this:
  • Tag using mbids (for whole release)
  • Tag using a multivalue frame format e.g. ID3 v2.4 for mp3 or Vorbis/Xiphe for Flac and put artists in separate values
  • Tag using a single value but separate the artists using a standard separator e.g. " / " (this will then be what you see during song playback)
  • Add an ARTISTS (note the "s") tag with either of the above (then the ARTIST tag can be whever you want displayed)
  • Replace the artist separators Kodi looks for in advancedsettings.xml, for example
Code:
<musiclibrary>
    <artistseparators>
        <separator> feat. </separator>
        <separator> Feat. </separator>
        <separator> with </separator>
        <separator>;</separator>
        <separator> ft. </separator>
        <separator> Ft. </separator>
    </artistseparators>
</musiclibrary>
That could include "/" if you are sure you never have "/" in a band name, but I don't recommend that - change the tagging instead!

Lots of ways to let Kodi know the individual arists and improve your music browsing (and more accurate scraping). I fell over when I saw
"Bruce Springsteen/Charae Kruege/Christopher Pulgram/Daniel Laufer/Jay Christy/John Meisner/Justin Bruns/Karen Freer/Kenn Wagner/Lachlan McBane/Olga Shpitko/Patrick Warren/Sheela Lyengar/Tania Maxwell Clements/William Pu"
as a song artist. Yikes! What put the session musicicans for that track into the artist tag?

Why not fix your tags John? I can give you a list of the albums that need some attention Smile
Hi Dave,

wow  thanks for that.  I did notice that one of the songs had two artists and I repaired that.  I generally just remove the additional one (as it doesn't matter too much to me).  What I didn't do was the fix/move/clean/rescan process.  Just fixed and rescanned which didn't fix the issue.  I'll remember that from now on.

If its not too much trouble could generate a list of broken ones that would be good.  I can spend a rainy day mending them B-(.

Once again thanks for all your assistance.  You are too kind

cheers

John
You are welcome John, all part of one man's quest to improve music file tagging  Smile

(2018-10-26, 02:24)dawsonjw Wrote: [ -> ]I did notice that one of the songs had two artists and I repaired that.  I generally just remove the additional one (as it doesn't matter too much to me). 
Kodi can cope nicely now with multiple artists, and you never know one day you might wish you knew who the guest artist etc. was. Rather than remove just use one of the other tagging solutions, or when removing take care if you also have mbid tags (they need to match).

(2018-10-26, 02:24)dawsonjw Wrote: [ -> ]What I didn't do was the fix/move/clean/rescan process.  Just fixed and rescanned which didn't fix the issue.  I'll remember that from now on.
Scanning is cumulative, and by default Kodi allows for media on removeal drives so does not cleanup orphans unless you tell it to do so, thus untangling a tagging boo-boo is a little cumbersome. But not sure it is worth adding media management features to Kodi for the odd occassions. Often it is a matter of doing a good tag sort out, and then starting a fresh.

(2018-10-26, 02:24)dawsonjw Wrote: [ -> ]If its not too much trouble could generate a list of broken ones that would be good.  I can spend a rainy day mending them B-(.
Sure, I'll PM you.
Cool.  I have the file now and I'll get onto it.

Kind regards

John