Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS passthrough works on one Kodi but not cloned Kodi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to get DTS passthrough to work on a couple of Kodi installations in my house, and I'm a little stumped at what I'm seeing. Here's my setup:

UPSTAIRS: I have a Kodi 18 Beta 4 installation on my FireTV 2nd gen box. The FTV2 is connected via HDMI to a Vizio 3651 soundbar that is capable of DTS decoding. From there, the Vizio soundbar is connected to a basic LG 46" TV via HDMI.

DOWNSTAIRS: I have the same Kodi 18 Beta 4 installation on a new Fire TV Stick 4K. The FTV Stick 4K is connected directly into a Denon AVR-891 receiver (into one of the HDMI ports), and of course the Denon receiver is connected to my TV (a Samsung 55") via HDMI. The Denon receiver also can decode DTS.

Here's what's strange. On my upstairs installation, I cannot see the "DTS-capable receiver" option in my Kodi settings. However, I used adbFire to backup my Kodi installation upstairs and then restore it to my Kodi installation downstairs. So it should be a cloned version of Kodi. However, the downstairs Kodi installation DOES show the "DTS-capable receiver" option in Kodi, and it does passthrough DTS audio using my local media.

So...I'm a little confused, and wondering how to get the upstairs Kodi installation to present the "DTS-capable receiver" option. For what it's worth, I know for sure the Vizio soundbar is not defective and can decode DTS audio, because I used to have SPMC installation upstairs instead of Kodi, and was able to get the DTS audio to work that way.
Thread moved to Android section.
What's surprising here?

DTS is detected on startup. Your old FireTV does not have it, cause amazon does not want you to have it on the older FireTV.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The FireTV2 is simply passing my DTS-encoded media (from my NAS) to the soundbar, where it should then be decoded and played...or am I not understanding how it works?

Also, as I mentioned it was working using SPMC on the same FTV2 device, so I'm not sure what the FTV2 has to do with it...?