Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Potentially the best Mini-ITX motherboards for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was on a board website and noticed one of their "new" products listed a few buzzwords that might be of use here so thought I'd post a link for the experts in case it's something of interest.

Manufacturer here

Example price here

I'm a long time user of XBMC and although I'm currently happy with my xbox version I can see the day when it might not cut the mustard...

Personally, I don't mind what the eventual recommended hardware is as long as it's fairly power friendly, small and quieter than my xbox Wink

Lastly, many thanks to all the xbmc team for my years of enjoyable media viewing.
Nice finding. Though I'd still prefer Intel based CPU implementation: DG45FC
I was just looking at that same board the other day, currently using a Digital Engine from AOpen but looking for new boards to use
would XBMC even take advantage of any of the hardware acceleration for video decoding that this board is offering?
All I want to do is build a SMALL portable media center to take the place of my old xbox but it's a real PITA unless you're willing to spend a lot of money. All I want to do is have it play movies off an internal HD using XBMC (Ubuntu port).

And I've decided that the Casetronic Travla C138 is the perfect form factor case for what i'm looking for, so the motherboard must be a Mini-ITX.

So has anyone had any good experiences with a Mini-ITX board? I want something that won't be too hard to configure and get running in Ubuntu. I'd also like to have high def output... but I don't wanna push my luck here.

one more thing. Please speak in N00b language! Big Grin
marc_with_a_c Wrote:would XBMC even take advantage of any of the hardware acceleration for video decoding that this board is offering?

No.
Have you looked at the Shuttle XPCs? That is indeed a damned nice case but finding the right Mini-ITX board is toughSad Something not VIA CPU based IMO, onboard NVIDIA preferred or a low profile PCI-X. Hard to find something like that - will be VERY interested in responses to this thread!
So I guess the mod's combined my thread with this one..

I started a new thread because I was hoping to get a greater response being that i'm looking for ANY Mini-ITX board that'll run XBMC, this thread Is only talking about a specific Mini-ITX board...

I would have liked it much better if my post had stayed as it's own thread!
You could have easily combined the threads yourself, no sense cluttering the forums.
That case is 155EUR alone. I can't imagine you wouldn't be better off just buying a mac mini and running XBMC on that, either in OSX or linux.
rodalpho Wrote:That case is 155EUR alone. I can't imagine you wouldn't be better off just buying a mac mini and running XBMC on that, either in OSX or linux.

Well I found the case for $138 on e-bay. Hmmmm Mac Mini you say? ..I think you've just opened a whole new window for me, I don't know how I havn't thought about that.

I just did a little research and it seems like the mac mini core 2 duo is the only one that can properly handle 720p and 1080 (with a few tweaks ofcourse). It's a little more expensive for what I want but I think i can fork over a little extra cash.

What would be the best port of XBMC to use though? Linux or OSX (i refuse to use windows). I want to use this SOLELY as a media center and I want to make it so XBMC boots up right away after powering on the mini.
You'll obviously have more control over the OS with linux. Which will let you tweak for boot time, minimum resources, etc.
With the 8200 being able to play the new HD formats and pass bitstream lossless audio over hdmi, is this possible to get it working in linux/xbmc? I read that it can even pass hd audio over the dvi connector and then use a dvi to hdmi converter. I'm talking any 8200 board in general, not just the one in the OP. If not, how about the new G45 boards from intel that are coming out?
There is not driver support for any of that stuff in linux AFAIK.
xeonicxpression Wrote:With the 8200 being able to play the new HD formats and pass bitstream lossless audio over hdmi, is this possible to get it working in linux/xbmc? I read that it can even pass hd audio over the dvi connector and then use a dvi to hdmi converter. I'm talking any 8200 board in general, not just the one in the OP. If not, how about the new G45 boards from intel that are coming out?
I think the very latest ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) development release-candidate has support for audio pass-through over HDMI on some ATI graphic cards, but no others as of yet that I know of. You have to keep checking the progress for that on ALSA's website:
http://www.alsa-project.org

So this in an underlying operating-system thing, and not a XBMC thing.

Nod
Pages: 1 2