Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA SHIELD TV from 4K to HD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello, I would like to ask an important question for me. If I have a 4K file and connect NVIDIA SHIELD TV to an HD video projector (1920x1080 high definition), what happens? In other words, is the format transformed into HD from NVIDIA SHIELD TV? If it makes it, I will get a very good vision or is it better to use HD files? Thanks.
(2018-11-07, 01:16)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]If I have a 4K file and connect NVIDIA SHIELD TV to an HD video projector (1920x1080 high definition), what happens?
You will get a 1920x1080 projected display. What else would you expect?

(2018-11-07, 01:16)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]In other words, is the format transformed into HD from NVIDIA SHIELD TV?
Yes.

(2018-11-07, 01:16)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]If it makes it, I will get a very good vision or is it better to use HD files?
1920x1080 output means a 1920x1080 display. Your projector is not able to make a sharper picture. So it shouldn't make a difference, unless your FullHD videos are of a crap quality.
Out of curiosity:
1) If I use Kodi to watch my 4K videos, can Kodi work and make the most of NVIDIA SHIELD TV hardware? With my Bravia Sony TV Kodi is not able to do it. TV hardware works.
2) When I will get NVIDIA SHIELD TV, if I will install Kodi, do I have to install Kodi on Sony TV or inside NVIDIA SHIELD TV?
I'm sorry for my inexperience.
Thanks
1) Sony TV's have a lousy track record in properly supporting the Kodi app when installed directly on the TV. Multiple topics on this forum addressed the Sony problems.
The couple of 4K videos I watched on my Nvidia Shield seemed to work fine, I really don't watch 4K content myself on a daily basis. Truth be told, Kodi currently does not have an Android-specific developer. We hope that will change in the near future.

2) You will need to install Kodi directly onto the Nvidia Shield TV. After that, you can install the Kodi Android installer and easily switch/upgrade your Kodi version.
I thank you for your reply. I will get NVIDIA SHIELD TV tomorrow. Please help me and tell me which precise files I have to install in my NVIDIA SHIELD TV. Do I have to installer 2 files in the Nvidia Shield TV?I'm inexpert and I'm afraid to make an error. Could you give me the precise link please?
As an nvidia shield tv owner myself I can only say that you will be in for a great experience! I in fact prefer it over Kodi on my Sony tv (for reasons specified above). All you need to do is to install Kodi from the google play store on the shield tv and you will see the kodi app icon to launch and enjoy. You can try to install various different kodi skins which make it easier for you to f.e. create custom launchers for native shield youtube/nvidia apps out of kodi menu for a seamless experience. IMHO shield is the best kodi experience I ever got and it is just getting better with Kodi v18 and the inclusion of game playing capabilities. Best hardware buy I ever did!
sectune,
I hope you are right but I will not watch films for TV and I never will use it for games. I will use it only to watch my 4K videos. I will connect a HDD to NVIDIA SHIELD. With my Sony TV I always used MX Player Pro. I think it is the best player for Sony, even it is better with video quality (image) than Kodi. Now I'd like to try Kodi again with NVIDIA SHIELD because I like its desktop. It allow to show the index of my documentaries.  But I still don't understand what I have to install beside Kodi.exe in NVIDIA SHIELD.

EDIT: What I will see when I turn on NVIDIA SHIELD? I will see a desktop?
(2018-11-07, 15:35)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]sectune,
I hope you are right but I will not watch films for TV and I never will use it for games. I will use it only to watch my 4K videos. I will connect a HDD to NVIDIA SHIELD. With my Sony TV I always used MX Player Pro. I think it is the best player for Sony, even it is better with video quality (image) than Kodi. Now I'd like to try Kodi again with NVIDIA SHIELD. But I still don't understand what I have to install beside Kodi.exe.
 Nvidia Shield is a different operating system, installing .exe files will not work. When you turn on your nvidia shield tv, you will see "google play store" as an application on your nvidia shield "desktop" - the "desktop" is also called the "home screen", just launch google play store from the home screen of your nvidia shield tv and install "Kodi" from there, no need to download external files from anywhere.
But the guy replying before you told me to download and install 2 files. Which is the second file please?
Thnaks
(2018-11-07, 15:54)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]But the guy replying before you told me to download and install 2 files. Which is the second file please?
Thnaks
 Klojum is a team kodi memeber so the "guy" knows what he is talking about Wink Besides that, I read the whole thread and did not see a word referring to these "two file installations".
In short once again, if you want kodi on your nvidia shield to play movies/videos from your nvidia shield on your tv then the following applies:
1. you unpack your nvidia shield tv and connect it to your Sony tv
2. you turn on the nvidia shield tv and switch to the according video channel on your sony tv so you see nvidia shield tv interface
3. you should see nvidia shield tv "desktop", called home screen/home launcher including "google play store" as one of the home screen applications you can launch
4. launch "google play store", search for "kodi", install it
5. you will see the "kodi" icon on your nvidia shield home screen now. Launch kodi from there and add your video files/library in kodi on nvidia shield to play them.

"You will need to install Kodi directly onto the Nvidia Shield TV. After that, you can install the Kodi Android installer and easily switch/upgrade your Kodi version." 
The "Kodi Android Installer" Klojum is referring to is an Add-on which is one of some "helper programs" you can install when you are inside Kodi on your nvidia shield and need very specific additional functionality for kodi [inside Kodi you will see a category called Add-ons, there you can browse a catalogue of add-ons to install - I would not recommend this as long as you don't know specifically what you want to achieve]. This addon is optional and not needed for most users/"beginners" as kodi will update itself automatically on nvidia shield tv as soon as there is a new kodi major release version on "google play store" - no action needed from your side. It's the same as on your mobile, as soon as there is a new app version for any of your apps on nvidia shield is available, it will update itself. Hope that clarifies this.
Dear sectune,
now I understand well. I thank you. I think I don't need Add-ons but ... I don't know if I make an error. I even deleted them in my Sony TV. They make me confused on the desktop. My ideal "desktop" would be with one link icon (shortcut) to open Kodi and nothing more. I already wrote I will watch ONLY my video/documentaries. I make them with my 4K camera (UHD). I never will use games or will watch TV with nvidia shield tv. In a HDD I have many documentaries and I will connect it to USB nvidia shield tv. I need to open the page where nvidia shield tv shows all the titles of my documentaries. I'd like to do it is very short time without going through Add-ons or other options. Everything must be done in a very short time. Maybe am I asking too much?? Huh

PS. Out of curiosity: could you tell me if you are noticing a better image quality now with nvidia shield tv compared to your Sony TV? I refer to the quality of the image and not to the fluidity of the video.
Yes, to my understanding you do not need any addons, just the Kodi app on your Nvidia Shield TV. Regarding just one icon on the "desktop": you can do this as well by removing all other icons from your shield desktop and only leaving Kodi there. Regarding the image quality: maybe my source material is not of the best quality and honestly I did not have a chance to compare the HDR 4k Videos in Sony native Video Player and Nvidia shield, but all videos I have (4k or HD and "normal" SD content) play back identically, I do not see any difference in the picture quality. If you do see this, maybe you can post here in the forum again with direct screenshot comparisons and I am sure the experts here on Kodi forum will for sure be able to help you out. Enjoy your Nvidia shield, as told, I think it is the best piece of tech I ever got in the last years.
Hi, I have just gotten a bad experience with nvidia shield tv. Please help me otherwise tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I will return it. I hope I'm wrong and that my device works well and it's just my inexperience that makes it bad.
I made the update just turned on the Shield, then I installed Kodi from Google Play.
1) I put my last documentary in a HDD. I conneced it by USB port: that file is mp4 .H264 100M and sometimes it jerky.
2) The image I get is really bad and very overexposed
I have several other questions to ask but I hope I can solve these two problems, then I will keep the Shield.
My Sony Bravia TV reads perfectly mp4 .H264 50M files. If I go over 50M the video  starts to jerky.
The image of the videos I get using TV as a reader is much better than the one I see with Shield, at least it's not so overexposed.
In Shield I don't have the chance to adjust the colors and the brightness. I don't see that option.
Maybe do I have to adjust the colors and the brightness in Kodi settings? But I don't understand anything about Kodi. What should I do precisely?
I trust you for some quick advice.
THANK YOU.
Put the Kodi GUI into 'Advanced' or 'Expert' mode. That way you get all the menu options.

I assume you are still using still Kodi 17.6.
Via Settings / Player / Videos / Playback, set 'Adjust display refresh rate to "On Start/Stop". Also set "Sync playback to display" to "On".

Brightness settings can also be set via the Video OSD during a video. Press the OK button and select the Video settings icon, and go from there.

What is 100M and 50M? Megabyte? Those are tiny video files.

(2018-11-08, 19:51)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]The image I get is really bad and very overexposed
We have no way of knowing what type of video you are trying to watch. If it is some type of HDR, it's probably misinterpreted by Kody as v17.6 is not HDR-compatible.

You can also download the Kodi Android installer to upgrade/downgrade your Shield easily to Kodi 18 beta builds.

The least you can do is enable debugging, restart Kodi, and provide a debug log (wiki) to us via https://paste.kodi.tv . That way we can get more tech details on the video(s) you watch.
(2018-11-08, 21:40)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Put the Kodi GUI into 'Advanced' or 'Expert' mode. That way you get all the menu options.

I assume you are still using still Kodi 17.6.
Via Settings / Player / Videos / Playback, set 'Adjust display refresh rate to "On Start/Stop". Also set "Sync playback to display" to "On".

Brightness settings can also be set via the Video OSD during a video. Press the OK button and select the Video settings icon, and go from there.

What is 100M and 50M? Megabyte? Those are tiny video files.
(2018-11-08, 19:51)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]The image I get is really bad and very overexposed
We have no way of knowing what type of video you are trying to watch. If it is some type of HDR, it's probably misinterpreted by Kody as v17.6 is not HDR-compatible.

You can also download the Kodi Android installer to upgrade/downgrade your Shield easily to Kodi 18 beta builds.

The least you can do is enable debugging, restart Kodi, and provide a debug log (wiki) to us via https://paste.kodi.tv . That way we can get more tech details on the video(s) you watch.      
 Hi, with your suggestions I solved my problem with brightness. Now I see exposed correctly images. But I have another problem. The images are very cold, I need to warm them. I watch only my documentaries I make around the world. I shoot with my GH5 camera in UHD PAL. With 10M I mean Mbps. You wrote "Brightness settings can also be set via the Video OSD during a video." What is OSD please? I don't understand how I can do it. Could I change the colours and add red warming the images? The images are terrible.
Then ... "Press the OK button and select the Video settings icon, and go from there." Sorry but I didn't see "OK" button. I don't know what you mean. But I'd like to click on a shortcut to open Kodi.
Yes I installed Kodi v17.6 and the next days I will install the 18 version but before I need solve my problems.
If it is not important I will not enable debugging because I think it is too much difficult for me. I thank you for your patience and availability.

EDIT: If with OSD you mean I have to modify the colours on the TV, I tell you I don't want to do it because my TV is perfectly adjusted in colors. I can't do it. I prefer to use anothe software that Kodi.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6