Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pulseaudio will not Die Kubuntu 18.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have a new install of Kubuntu 18.10 on an Amd 2400G. I am using the 4.19.1 Kernel.  In the the /etc/pulse/client.conf file, I have un-commented the autospawn = yes line and changed to no.  I have tried at the user and global level with no luck.  pulseaudio --kill does not seem to work either. When I open kodi, I still get the pulse audio entries in Audio settings, No Alsa. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Please let me know what logs might be helpful?  

Note:  I am using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu because Gnome does not seem to like my Flirc device.  PC has 3 hard drives triple booting Libreelec, Kubuntu and Windows 10
Try logging in to the desktop as your Kodi user and do the following:

Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/systemd/user
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.service
Reboot your system and login again. Pulseaudio should not start.

What's happening: this should link $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.* to /dev/null effectively killing the service for that user.

If, for some reason, systemctl fails to do that you can do it manually with:
ln -s /dev/null $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket
ln -s /dev/null $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service

Undoing this is as simple as rm $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.* or using systemctl --user unmask pulseaudio.* 

Please let me know if that helped.
(2018-11-14, 14:30)bobb0 Wrote: [ -> ]Try logging in to the desktop as your Kodi user and do the following:

Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/systemd/usersystemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socketsystemctl --user mask pulseaudio.service

What's happening: this should link $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.* to /dev/null effectively killing the service for that user.

Undoing this is as simple as rm $HOME/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.* or using systemctl --user unmask pulseaudio.* 

I will try this when I get home from work. Thank you.
(2018-11-14, 14:30)bobb0 Wrote: [ -> ]Try logging in to the desktop as your Kodi user and do the following:

Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/systemd/usersystemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socketsystemctl --user mask pulseaudio.service

This worked for me, I now have passthrough audio.  Any idea why the method from the Kodi Wiki did not work, I have used it on earlier versions of Ubuntu without issue?  Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
I think it's due to the fact that pulseaudio.socket will cause an instance of pulseaudio to spin up no matter what client.conf says.

Buuuuut, I tried to apply the same fix to Fedora 29 and it didn't work so.. I'm not 100% sure.
What you do is not a fix. You will permanently disable pulseaudio ... with that method you can directly remove it if you don't need it.
it only disables pulse for 1 specific user. So if you run kodi as it's own user and another user for desktop use, this is a valid solution.
This is true if he has multiple users on this system

Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/systemd/user
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.service

Thank you so much!
I use a separate login for kodi that starts kodi instead of the desktop, and this worked great on Linux Mint 20.2.

I had to use the ln-method. No reboot needed.
I just logged out, and then ran the ln logged in remotely via SSH. On next start pulseaudio was not around, and Passthrough was immediately re-enabled.