Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDR playback - what is the most likely way to get it to work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

From numerous threads here I have gathered that HDR with Windows won't work because Kodi can't handle Windows HDR mode switching.
Using the unofficial DSPlayer Version of Kodi might be a work around but that being updated to v18 is unknown and it is not supported release - so that is not the way to go.

So for me it all comes down to Linux - does HDR output under Kodi 18 work under Linux with the appropriate HW? I ahven't found answer to that question here, ppl only said it works ion the Shields or similar devices.

I use a AMD RR 2200G and switched to Kodi under Windows because Linux Support way way to wonky for the early APU and WAF was back to -13 - and I ahve to say that Windows even with HDMI output worked very very flawless.

thx
(2018-11-13, 14:50)ichkriegediekri Wrote: [ -> ]So for me it all comes down to Linux - does HDR output under Kodi 18 work under Linux with the appropriate HW?
 No, HDR is currently unsupported on Linux by both Wayland and Xorg. The APIs to support it are a work-in-progress.
(2018-11-13, 17:01)yasij Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-13, 14:50)ichkriegediekri Wrote: [ -> ]So for me it all comes down to Linux - does HDR output under Kodi 18 work under Linux with the appropriate HW?
 No, HDR is currently unsupported on Linux by both Wayland and Xorg. The APIs to support it are a work-in-progress.
And what about OpenElec?
In the following thread (first post) you find the answer for the following question:

Quote:Q. I basically want a HD Audio capable (inc. Atmos & DTS:X) 4K HDR10 Kodi media player that just works with minimal hassles ?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Regards Hoppel
(2018-11-13, 20:28)ichkriegediekri Wrote: [ -> ]And what about OpenElec?
OpenELEC is already hopelessly outdated as it hasn't been developed for over 1.5 years, changing over to LibreELEC is recommended.

You can try Milhouse's "bleeding edge" builds for the latest nightlies, but for AMD Ryzen graphics the very latest kernels and Mesa drivers are required. No idea how far Milhouse currently is on AMD Ryzen support. HDR is as already stated, a work-in-progress.
I've been using the official versions of KODI for years with external players.  Some files, such as HDR, are handled by external players better and at times exclusively.  Currently I am using KODI v.18 LEIA with external player(s) flawlessly, seamless, and unlimited in abilities.  So, DSP, Linux, or Shields etc., however unappealing and for whatever reasons, are not the only options.
Small catch here is that I use Kodi via IP Control from a Control4 system.I am not aware of another Windows player which I can easily control this way.

Which external player are u using and how do you start them?
Depending how that works I could program an IR driver for that, but that might be tricky or unreliable.
I am using the KODI VideoPlayer, DVDFab Media players versions 3 and 5, MPCHC, MPCBE, and PowerDVD v.18.  I start them by navigating to a title in the KODI library and pressing 'play' on my Harmony remote control or 'enter' on my keyboard or left click with my mouse.  Then the default assigned player and any corresponding software such as madVR also starts and playback begins.  I can also manually intervene within the KODI GUI and select another player instead of what I have set as default by pressing the 'menu' button aka 'C' keyboard stroke aka right mouse click selecting 'play using' pop-up list.  Then the selected player starts and playback begins.  Remote controlling features and values of the players and components like madVR use many of the same button assignments KODI uses so there isn't much to add or change.  I do add most of the available keymaps players and madVR offer as additional commands I program into my Harmony because I like the features they offer beyond play, pause, FFD, Rew, subtitles, frame advance, etc. etc.  You mention tricky and unreliable.  I experience no problems day in and day out for years throughout every update the O/S offers, drivers offer, and the various software offer.  I assume you think none of this is seamless and you are going to have to play games with a bunch of software and codes every time you use it and leave KODI to interact with them.  That isn't the case.  Everything is automated and I know of nothing as versatile by simply pressing play on a title in the KODI library.  This thread is about the most likely way to get HDR to work.  There are MANY ways.  Some good, some not so good.  Some with lots of caveats, some with only a few.  I only know of one way with zero caveats using the hardware and software methods I use.
(2018-11-14, 19:42)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using the KODI VideoPlayer, DVDFab Media players versions 3 and 5, MPCHC, MPCBE, and PowerDVD v.18.  I start them by navigating to a title in the KODI library and pressing 'play' on my Harmony remote control or 'enter' on my keyboard or left click with my mouse.  Then the default assigned player and any corresponding software such as madVR also starts and playback begins.  I can also manually intervene within the KODI GUI and select another player instead of what I have set as default by pressing the 'menu' button aka 'C' keyboard stroke aka right mouse click selecting 'play using' pop-up list.  Then the selected player starts and playback begins.  Remote controlling features and values of the players and components like madVR use many of the same button assignments KODI uses so there isn't much to add or change.  I do add most of the available keymaps players and madVR offer as additional commands I program into my Harmony because I like the features they offer beyond play, pause, FFD, Rew, subtitles, frame advance, etc. etc.  You mention tricky and unreliable.  I experience no problems day in and day out for years throughout every update the O/S offers, drivers offer, and the various software offer.  I assume you think none of this is seamless and you are going to have to play games with a bunch of software and codes every time you use it and leave KODI to interact with them.  That isn't the case.  Everything is automated and I know of nothing as versatile by simply pressing play on a title in the KODI library.  This thread is about the most likely way to get HDR to work.  There are MANY ways.  Some good, some not so good.  Some with lots of caveats, some with only a few.  I only know of one way with zero caveats using the hardware and software methods I use.
Hi

Ok then I'll dig out my MCE remote and give it a try with PowerDVD.

Edit: Which IR receiver do u use on your HTPC? -
Edit2: I think FLIRC v2 should work
HP OVU400102/71
I use standard Kodi (Leia) with Videoplayer for standard content and external playback with MPC-BE with MadVR for HDR playback.  Its a bit fiddly but works.

Somebody has written a nice guide here
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596