Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black Friday , what nuc to look for ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all
I’ve dithered enough on this subject 😂
As Black Friday is approaching it’s time to buy .

What nuc model is best to look for please . Need 4k (understand some have issues) passthrough for various audio outputs through receiver . Media stored external so hard drive size not too important . Must have built in IR that works . I currently use Xbox remote that works great .

The nuc will basically be used to run Kodi only (libreelec ).

Any guidance will be greatfully received .

Jamie
firetv 4k for 35 bucks then. 

Why spend so much money to run kodi, it makes 0 sense.
(2018-11-15, 21:06)honcho Wrote: [ -> ]firetv 4k for 35 bucks then. 

Why spend so much money to run kodi, it makes 0 sense.

I like heavy skins , snappy menus . I also like to connect usb drives (unsure if that’s possible on fire) plus personal preference as my current nuc has been great .
Price wise yes it’s more but it’s like saying maybe why by a Ferrari when a mini will still get you there only cheaper 😂
Think the Bean Canyon i5 nuc was the best bang for buck (nuc bang buc?) performance/cost wise. 
nuc8i5bek1 I think was the model...a bunch of reviews and discussion around it in the Coffee Lake thread.
Basically was as fast or faster than the 7th gen Skull Canyon and the i7 didn't have exponentially faster performance for the money.
It's what I'm looking at for some price drops
Didnt realize NUCs were still in.. its all about HDR capable devices these days such as the Shield, Apple TV, Fire devices, etc. or the cheaper AM logic ones.. thats what the cool kids are using.. no NUCs!!!!!
The LSPCon and the GPU in NUC8i5BEH/NUC8i5BEK support HDR, as the rest of the nuc8 series, would, i3 or i7.
I suspect it would primarily be in Windows, not sure where the the support is for this yet in Linux/librelec et al.

https://nucblog.net/2018/11/coffee-lake-...nuc8i5beh/
Right.. sorry i forgot to mention that the cool kids are also supposed to stay away from windows.. and there is no HDR linux on intel yet as far as i know. But if windows is your poison, sure one of these newer NUCs is great but why pay so much when you can have the mainstream shield/appletv for nearly half the price?
Shield has its own issues and Apple products aren't for everyone. 
Different strokes I guess.
(2018-11-18, 05:12)Temujin Wrote: [ -> ]Shield has its own issues and Apple products aren't for everyone. 
Different strokes I guess.

I hear you. I am a windows user, tried it as HTPC OS for a few years before gave in to the demanding WAF factor. Yes, it can do everything but is only feasible if you can devote energy and time to maintain it.

I have used OpenELec, plain old Ubuntu. SteamOS, FireTV and now I am on Shield and ATV.

In terms of versatility, as well as the WAF, both the Shield and AppleTV are simply unbeatable.
Wives must be different ... mine is using kodi master on Linux since more than 8 years ...
(2018-11-18, 11:57)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Wives must be different ... mine is using kodi master on Linux since more than 8 years ...
What software version of "wife" do you have?   Smile
(2018-11-18, 11:57)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Wives must be different ... mine is using kodi master on Linux since more than 8 years ...

You have my admiration, sir..

switching inputs to use others apps and then go back to Linux Kodi was apparently a huge complicated mess for the wife here.

Lol
Yeah, the new box def had to meet the boss'/wife's approval Smile

For me it's the familiarity of years and years with Windows, so the upkeep there isn't THAT much for me...it's the Android OS and then Linux that's an enigma for me. 
So I hear ya, part of it is usability vs what you know and how much upkeep it's gonna be.

Right now, after my last HTPC died last year, I'm using the Vero 4k, running OSMC.
So far it's ok...a few hiccups that I'm still trying to resolve on the OSMC board, and some of the bigger files in 4k will hang, but to echo what the OP was saying, looking at running some heavier skins, artwork and plugins etc and then also have a little extra horsepower for stuff like sabnzb and extracting, downloading etc, and then using local content on multiple USB enclosures/ease of transferring/connectivity. 10 hard drives across 3 enclosures

Last I tried a year ago, USB drive mounting was an issue on the Android boxes...reboot would unmount or remap the drive paths thus %$#@ing up the Kodi library library paths

If this isn't an issue any longer with the Shield, I may look at one come black Friday, as long it supports: 4K, hdr, and 7.1 HD audio like DTS-HD, DTS-x, TrueHD, Atmos etc
You would make your life so much easier by investing in a NAS or by simply using a PC with shared storage and keeping all the files there (smb or nfs)

I have never done USB mounting on my media players. NAS hardware is cheap now and a scalable solution. And Linux boxes such as Libreelec or any other flavor with Kodi is easy because the update process is so much easier and simpler than a full blown windows PC. You can use your phone to do it through SSH and terminal. For windows, its a proper chore. But to each his own, i guess.

My recommendation would be to use a dedicated windows box with shared hard drives storage as the server, to use sabnzb, etc.. and mount those shares on your android box in kodi. Rebooting will not mess up the library path, etc that way. Most of the kodi community use this method. So you can get away with this setup for price of one nuc and couple of android boxes (or more based on your need) rsther than havin a nuc for each tv, which can be pretty pricey.
(2018-11-18, 21:43)Temujin Wrote: [ -> ]If this isn't an issue any longer with the Shield, I may look at one come black Friday, as long it supports: 4K, hdr, and 7.1 HD audio like DTS-HD, DTS-x, TrueHD, Atmos etc

You must be are aware of the Shield's well known color output issues for mixed SDR and 4K HDR usage ?
The issue is well documented now:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2789025

Yes for a power user a NUC would be the way to go. If only (NUC) LibreELEC Kodi had 4K HDR support then all the really demanding Kodi users would be jumping onboard right away.
Pages: 1 2