Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODI playback functions on Nvidia Shield remote...what does what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got an Nvidia Shield TV (2017), and I'm trying to figure out how to navigate KODI with it. I am not a fan of the Shield remote. I prefer something with traditional playback buttons. I can't seem to find anything that will tell me what buttons do what in Kodi with the Shield remote. Something simple like this=RR, this=FF, this=pause/play, etc.  Does anyone know of a site or document that has that simple information?

Side note: I do have a Harmony 650 that I used with my htpc running Kodi and a flirc dongle. The Shield TV 2017 has no IR, but the flirc should still work, yes? If not, and if I cannot get to a wife friendly point with the odd little remote that comes with the Shield, does anyone have any decent Android TV bluetooth remote recommendations?

Thank you!
The Nvidia Shield TV also supports CEC. I myself am quite happy in using the Shield's controllers or my TV remote.
I never heard anyone using the Flirc on a Shield, but I guess someone has to be bold enough.
What exactly is CEC? Is that where I would use my Sony Bravia remote to run the Shield?
LOL, that was easy! I plugged the flirc into a usb port on the shield and it just worked! I didn't have to do anything other than connect the dongle. It works with the exact same functionality and button mappings with Kodi (and the shield gui) that it did before when it was used with a Windows based htpc. 

That is hella cool.
Thread marked solved.
(2018-11-16, 23:03)dmaker Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is CEC? Is that where I would use my Sony Bravia remote to run the Shield?
Yep, your TV remote signals would be relayed to the Shield in general (Shield supports CEC) and in particular to Kodi. But apparently you already found a better solution. Smile
One small caveat: can't figure out how to exit Kodi now. The Harmony does not seem to have a mapping for the Shield home button. So I can only exit Kodi by using the gui power button. 

That's not ideal...
(2018-11-17, 00:58)dmaker Wrote: [ -> ]One small caveat: can't figure out how to exit Kodi now. The Harmony does not seem to have a mapping for the Shield home button. So I can only exit Kodi by using the gui power button. 

That's not ideal...
 Have you figured this out yet? This is the issue I am running into now. I have given up trying to use my Harmony Touch through the Hub and Bluetooth. It worked for a bit and then stopped. So I am resorting to the Flirc, but not being able to exit Kodi by using a remote button is not ideal as you said.