Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding options to change the subtitles border style in Kodi 18
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, i want to ask for adding options in Kodi 18 to change the border style of the subtitles like the way media player classic does, so i would be able to decrease the black border width in the subtitles.

I would like to second this request.
yes please
Yes, more styling options for subtitles would be much appreciated. On plasma/OLED screens having a slight transparency helps avoiding burn in of the "subtitles region" of screen too.
(2019-06-12, 16:55)ashlar Wrote: [ -> ]On plasma/OLED screens having a slight transparency helps avoiding burn in of the "subtitles region" of screen too.
This already exists unless I'm understanding wrong.

Subtitle background colour opacity (Setting: Background opacity) was added in v18 and subtitle font opacity (Setting: Opacity) has been added in v19 nightlies

That's great @jjd-uk! I was familiar with the background opacity but I don't use it, since I dislike rectangular backgrounds around subtitles. Also, I've just tried it on Kodi 18.2 (Windows x64) and the opacity functionality is not working.
See this screenshot:

Settings are like this:

The background should be barely visible, instead it's completely solid.
Confirmed, the adjustment for background colour, is 0 = Transparent and No background 1 to 99 = solid colour. Note: Skin T! manually changed the settings in guisettings.xml with various configurations without success.
(2019-06-14, 20:50)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Confirmed, the adjustment for background colour, is 0 = Transparent and No background 1 to 99 = solid colour. Note: Skin T! manually changed the settings in guisettings.xml with various configurations without success.
I downloaded 19.0 Alpha to check but background is basically on/off and that's it. Font transparency, instead, appears to be correctly configurable. Which is exactly how I liked it. Smile
Would love this as well together with more control over color. (Even grey is extremely bright on Sony Android TVs except on a short lived firmware version).
(2019-07-25, 12:05)lucianls Wrote: [ -> ]Would love this as well together with more control over color. (Even grey is extremely bright on Sony Android TVs except on a short lived firmware version).

Dark grey #808080 has just been added, shown on right with the normal grey shown left

Is the new Opacity feature for the outline of the text or the text or both at the same time?

As the thread starter I also want more control over the subtitles and I have to use Subtitle Edit and convert to .ass to get it the way I want it.
Also in favor of this. I find that with Yellow subtitles, I really don't need the outline for them to be readable.
I also wish this feature to be added. Please make it optional for people for us.

On my enigma2 sattelite receiver (linux), there is an option called "Subtitle border width". I fixed it to "2" And it is perfect.

On kodi (MiBox S) I've tried .ass styling.
On most of the 2160p mkvs, it works as it should. But on some mkvs, it doesn't. The size doubles and it drop to the buttom not to the video border.
I have been frustrated by the border look for a year now. Tried downloading a tonne of fonts only to realize its built in to kodi. The border looks pixelated and not sleek and modern, for example Ariel on VLC was amazing. Now everything looks like old school tv from the 90s. Any update on when we can expect this? Wink
19 matrix is out but nothing seems to be changed.
Pages: 1 2