Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New HTPC setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
Yes, I will be cross posting these questions, because I think one website can help me better with one part and another website can help me better with another question.

Currently I have a quite old HTPC with the following specs:
  • Pretty old HP Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.50 GHz desktop
  • 4GB RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT with total memory of 2519MB of which 512MB dedicated and 2007MB shared
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
  • Windows 10 runs on SSD.
  • Media and recorded tv are on a 2TB internal HDD
  • 2x Floppy DTV with Alphacrypt CAM
  • 1x HDHomerun duo connect
  • Smartmouse
  • TV Mosaic
  • DVBJCam
  • NewCS
  • Philips TV
This setup is on 24/7 so I can watch TV whenever and wherever I want. But that seems to be over the top.

Problems that I experience are:
  • System uses quite a lot of power and is on 24/7
  • YouTube lags in Edge, because the CPU peaks to 100% and then drops again
  • The image seems blurred in Netflix, Kodu etc. Seems to be to let things appear smoother. That can be fixed by disabling PC mode on the TV, but then applications like Windows Explorer and Edge show lines like they're double.
  • When watching TV in the bedroom through Kodi or VLC after about 15 minutes the broadcast starts to stutter and buffer. That happens with recorded TV as well. I am not sure if this is caused by the client or the server.
What I want to achieve is:
  • Watch live and recorded TV without issues
  • Less power usage
  • Get rid of several types of tuners
My idea of the new situation:
  • HDHomerun HR5-4DC (someone mentioned that oddly enough the new one has 100Mbit instead of 1000Mbit)
  • Less power consuming Windows 10 machine that runs TV Mosaic
  • External HDD for recorded TV and media
I've got the following questions:
I prefer to have one Windows 10 machine that can do it all. What would you advise? One machine for TV Mosaic that also runs the front end apps for media consumption? Or one Windows 10 machine for TV Mosaic and a separate Android box with Android TV as front end.
Is it an issue to have recorded TV on an external HDD? Or is that speed way higher than what is needed by 4 streams?
In case of one machine: what type of machine would you advise? What configuration and specs?

In case of a separate Android TV box I was wondering if the following apps are available:
  • Kodi
  • Ziggo Go
  • Feedly
  • YouTube
  • Google Assistent (in Dutch)
  • Netflix
  • TeamViewer (preferably to take control of the device as well)
  • Agenda app (with use of Microsoft accounts)
  • Domoticz
  • Toon
  • Foto and video viewer with options to delete files
Can a bluetooth keyboard be used with an Android box?
Is it possible to use a webcam with an Android box? (For Skype and Google assistant)
Can an android box be connected to my amplifier using a micro jack?
(2018-11-24, 16:23)Plantje Wrote: [ -> ]Can a bluetooth keyboard be used with an Android box?
I have no problems with a Logitech K380 used with an nVidia Shield TV or an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. I have also had no major issues with a non-Bluetooth USB RF dongle+keyboard Logitech K400 on my Shield TV.

Quote:Is it possible to use a webcam with an Android box? (For Skype and Google assistant)

Can't comment on this I'm afraid.

Quote:Can an android box be connected to my amplifier using a micro jack? 

Do you mean by 3.5mm L/R analogue audio or by Toslink optical? Some boxes do have these (though the higher end models are usually HDMI only). However you can use an HDMI audio extractor should you need to (this will take the HDMI output of your box and split out analogue and/or digital audio from the HDMI connection, whilst passing HDMI on to a TV)