Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Could someone please help clear up some confusion around custom genre, tags and nfo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, what I would like to do is simply add a couple of custom genres: DC Comics, Marvel Comics, etc..kind of things. 

What I did to try to achieve this. I downloaded and run Tinmymediamanager. I then created nfo files for each movie. Then I edited the genre section of a couple of dozen movies to test. Then I did not see anything in new Kodi. Did an update. Same. So I changed my scraper to be local information only pseudo scraper. Then I saw 4 of my movies in the new custom genres. But only 4 and I lost 2/3 of my collection. Did not like that. 

So now I have gone back to TMDB for my scraper, did a library update and now all my movies are back, but nothing has changed genre wise. 

Could someone point in the right direction for what I would like to do? I'd like to have a simple way to see all my movies of a certain, custom defined sort. Whether that be genres or tags or whatever, that would be fine. 

Thanks!
Is this more of what you are after... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2747927
Hi,

Perhaps movie sets might be the easier way to go. The problem with that is that there are quite a few by default that I don't want. Can I make it so that only my custom ones show?
Yes, check out the Movie Set link in My Signature below. You can delete existing Sets and create new ones.
Thanks for the tips. 

I did get it to work using local NFO files eventually. I had to select movies are in named folders option, and select local information for scraping. This seems to work. The genre information is read now from the nfo. I guess more than one way to skin a cat. I had a bunch of movies that were on the root of my movie folder. I've deleted those that I no longer wanted and will make directories for the others. I'll still look into movie sets as I kind of like that idea too.
(2018-11-25, 22:35)dmaker Wrote: [ -> ]I had to select movies are in named folders option, and select local information for scraping.
If you are naming your nfo files as movie.nfo, then it only works with that setting enabled and when each movie is in its own folder. The Local Information Only scraper is not necessary as Kodi always looks for nfo file first.

Movie in its own movie folder is the way to go as it reduces clutter compared to having all movies in one folder, and is more versatile.
My movies are in their own folders now, but the movie filename is not always the same as the folder. The folder will have the same name as imdb for the movie, but the movie may have other information such as resolution, etc in the filename. It still scrapes fine, but will it still pick up the new genre information?
(2018-11-25, 23:41)dmaker Wrote: [ -> ]The folder will have the same name as imdb for the movie
Not a great habit to get into. If you are using TheMovieDB scraper (the default one), then you should check your titles against their site... https://www.themoviedb.org/ Most cases they are the same, but there are a few discrepancies that may throw the scraper off. They include a slightly different name or, more commonly, the (Year) is different.

(2018-11-25, 23:41)dmaker Wrote: [ -> ]will it still pick up the new genre information?
If your NFO is correctly created and saved, then yes it will.
Seems to be only reading the nfo file if I have my scraper set to local information only.
Pardon me, I think I misunderstood the behavior. I changed back to Universal and did a rescrape and now the nfo are being read. I think it was my confusion between doing an update and doing a rescrape. If I edit a video source and then change the scraper and say yes to rescan all items, then it will pick up new edits to NFO files, otherwise just doing a library update will not. Does that sound right? So in the future if I add or edit an NFO, for that to be noticed, I need to remove the item from the library and then scan again? or something..  Smile
Using 'refresh' in information works.
Thank-you, I did not know that.
Is there a way to do this for a whole source? I use Tinymediamanager, and just now used bulk edit to add a custom genre to a bunch of movies. Now I would have to go back to Kodi and find each movie and do a refresh. I don't think just scanning the source for new content will pick edits to NFO files? The only way I know to kick off a mass nfo refresh is to make some sort of change in the source settings and then answer yes to the final popup. 

Is there another way?
Go to videos, navigate to the source where you've made changes, open the context menu.
Select 'change content' and set it to 'none'
You'll be prompted to remove content from the library - choose yes.
Let kodi clean things up.
Repeat, but this time set content back to movies / tv / whatever
At the prompt choose 'yes' and kodi will scan the source.

I don't know of a quicker way.