Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Watching movies/shows on my server at home remotely on an Android phone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Synology NAS and a standalone minipc that I have Kodi installed on. I have a bunch of movies and shows on my NAS. The minipc has access to all my media. Synology has a UPNP server that I use to watch movies/shows at home. However, I want to watch some movies and/or shows when I'm traveling and/or not at home. Google results are so cluttered with junk articles that there's no context for "Kodi Stream Android" or other variants.

What is the easiest way to stream your own media from Kodi to an Android phone remotely?
IMO, the simplest and "always working" solution is to get yourself an external 2.5" USB drive and copy some of the home movies/shows on to it. There are 4-5 TB drives nowadays, those should be sufficient.

It will spare you the troubles of crappy/buffering internet connections as well as securing the whole internet access to your home.

EDIT: watching videos from an usb drive to an android phone is not a solution for every Android phone...
Take following steps
1) make sure you have a dynamic url pointing to your isp IP address. For instance using the syno ddns service
2) fix ip addy of your nas in ur router so u are sure it never changes
3) decide on which protocol u wana use to have kodi connect to your nas. I use FTP, for instance
4) forward the port(s) that your protocol uses, to your nas internal ip addy. This is done in your router. There are other protocols like webdav that also work remotely. smb will not work. You can check which ports to forward when you google “syno faq 299”
5) create a source in the kodi on your android phone, using the url from (1) and the protocol and port from (3) and (4)

This should do it. I have an android box set up this way, and take it with me when staying eg in hotels or holiday resort. Always w my whole movie collection on the move :-)
The NAS should provide remote access solutions such as WebDAV, FTP or via a VPN if the NAS can support a server.

These are outside Kodi, but the first two can be used as a Kodi source, and the latter will effectively put your phone onto your local network as if you were at home.

All will need a dynamic DNS solution unless your ISP can offer you one, but there are free solutions for that available on the net. The first two will also need port forwarding to be set up on your router.

A web search will give you info on each, as it's getting a bit off topic for here.
(2018-11-28, 21:31)mchp92 Wrote: [ -> ]Take following steps
1) make sure you have a dynamic url pointing to your isp IP address. For instance using the syno ddns service
3) decide on which protocol u wana use to have kodi connect to your nas. I use FTP, for instance
4) forward the port(s) that your protocol uses, to your nas internal ip addy. This is done in your router. There are other protocols like webdav that also work remotely. smb will not work. You can check which ports to forward when you google “syno faq 299”
5) create a source in the kodi on your android phone, using the url from (1) and the protocol and port from (3) and (4)

This should do it. I have an android box set up this way, and take it with me when staying eg in hotels or holiday resort. Always w my whole movie collection on the move :-)
 Interesting...so the Kodi client on my phone is essentially reading from my SFTP and streaming the media from there? That's cool. I'll try that.
I launched Kodi on my phone and proceeded to create a new source. However - the Android client doesn't support SFTP Public Key Authentication.

There was a post on Reddit about this a year ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/6...ce_has_no/. This is a huge security hole considering how it's pretty common knowledge to secure your home network. How do I submit a bug for the app?
I found another solution. I connected to SFTP with a private key with ES File Explorer and then launched my show with VLC. So come to found out my solution had nothing to do with Kodi. I was just hoping for a prettier solution.
Set up a (OpenVPN?) VPN into your home LAN. Your router might support a vpn server, the Synology almost certainly does (I have one).

Android has an OpenVPN client app. Once you are VPNed in it is just like being at home.
(2018-11-28, 21:31)mchp92 Wrote: [ -> ]Take following steps

… if i want to set up a shield with kodi on it to my home based server computer wich contain all my movies, tv shows and data to watch then (synchro) away from my home, would it be possible? Is that method would work? Or if there is a better way to dot it 4-5 years later? 😉
... maybe possible via a kodi addon like Emby for Kodi ??