Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Mi Box or Fire Stick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am thinking about buying the new 4K Fire Stick to use it with the Kodi app and to replace my old setup: An old Fire Stick and a Raspberry Pi 3 with Libreelec. Before I buy, I have some questions:
  • Can I play true 5.1 audio? I am asking because when I play 2.0 and 5.1 audio on my old Fire stick, my audio receiver always shows it plays 5.1 audio, so I don't know if it is fake 5.1. In addition I have passthrough enabled on my Fire Stick, but the sound plays on my TV even when I turn off my audio receiver, which is not the case when I am using my Pi. I guess this is because the Pi really passes the audio through and my 2.0 TV just can't handle a 5.1 signal.
  • Can I play MPEG2 and WVC1 in Full HD? The reason I am asking is because I had to buy the codecs for my Pi to be able to watch this content without lags.
(I want to change my setup to have less remotes and devices. I want to watch Netflix and movies from my NAS with Kodi.)
If by 5.1, you're fine w/lossy audio (standard DD5.1 & DTS) other than DD+ (which does bitstream), then FTV Stick 4K would fit the bill.
I will give you the known issues with the Mi Box:
  • ALL Android AMLogic (& the NVIDIA Shield) have issues with VC-1 video playback, that includes the Mi Box. Use OSMC / LibreELEC / CoreELEC on RPi or AMLogic hardware if you want proper VC-1 playback support.
  • MPEG2 content (especially if it is interlaced) will not playback properly.
  • 5.1 audio in Netflix has dropouts (not sure if fixed on the 2018 Mi Box S) --> you need to be HDMI connected to a DD+ capable audio receiver to even attempt 5.1 Netflix audio.
  • Dolby Audio for non Kodi Apps support is frankly an absolute mess. You cannot even get 5.1 DD audio out of the Optical port, even tho the Mi Box is Dolby Audio Licensed.
    There is not even a Android settings - SPDIF audio option.
    2.0 Netflix Audio to a TV will be Ok.
  • there is NO auto refresh switching when using Kodi or any other Apps. If you have come from a RPi and value nice smooth video playback avoid the Mi Box at all costs.

Even if the 2018 FireTV Stick 4K might have issues with VC-1 - it's a better buy because virtually all the Mi Box issues listed above and not a problem with the 2018 Stick. It's more powerful hardware as well.
(2018-11-30, 01:44)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the 2018 FireTV Stick 4K might have issues with VC-1 - it's a better buy because virtually all the Mi Box issues listed above and not a problem with the 2018 Stick. It's more powerful hardware as well. 

Yes - though the Pi still plays content the FireTV Stick 4K doesn't. The Fire TV Stick 4K is a non-starter if you have any interlaced HD H.264 (and I expect VC-1) in your library, or watch any Live/Recorded TV in an H.264 interlaced region (like lots of Europe)  In Europe this can include HD Blu-rays of TV series (I've got some BBC Blu-ray drama lossless rips that defeat the FireTV Stick 4K)
(2018-11-30, 14:10)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-30, 01:44)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the 2018 FireTV Stick 4K might have issues with VC-1 - it's a better buy because virtually all the Mi Box issues listed above and not a problem with the 2018 Stick. It's more powerful hardware as well. 

Yes - though the Pi still plays content the FireTV Stick 4K doesn't.

Agreed but the thread title was actually Mi Box vs FireTV Stick ?
(2018-11-30, 17:15)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-30, 14:10)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes - though the Pi still plays content the FireTV Stick 4K doesn't. 

Agreed but the thread title was actually Mi Box vs FireTV Stick ? 
Yes - though the OP is currently running a Pi - so I thought it relevant to point out that the replacements may not play content his current solution does.
Ok thank you all Smile
I will just get the new Fire Stick and keep my old setup at first. If most of my movies run smoothly I will keep the new stick and just convert the rest with Handbrake.