Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Accessing local content on external hdd for my Firestick 4k TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased a Firestick 4K TV, to be used with a portable projector (Wowoto CAN) i have. 

The portable projector has two USB slots and a HDMI slot.

So the firestick takes up one USB and the HDMI slot, whereas i put my 2 TB External HDD in the other USB slot on the projector.

The Projector itself is ANDROID based (some old version and very slow).

Now when i load up ES File Manger on the Projector, i can see my internal storage (projector) and also the storage for my external HDD is viewable. 

However, when i switch to the HDMI mode and go to the Firestick TV ES File Manager, i can't see any paths to my external HDD or even the internal projector storage. I can only see the Firestick storage paths.

Please can someone tell me how i can access the External HDD's Storage paths from the Firestick HD? Because i want to add sources from my external HDD into KODI. At the moment i looked in Kodi also and i couldn't see any references to the external HDD either.

Thanks.
(2018-12-03, 23:17)KILLERNADS Wrote: [ -> ]However, when i switch to the HDMI mode and go to the Firestick TV ES File Manager, i can't see any paths to my external HDD or even the internal projector storage. I can only see the Firestick storage paths.
Your projector will not magically transfer files to something like a Fire Stick via USB. Right now you are expecting the projector to automatically mount the 2TB drive (which it does), AND that your Firestick automatically mounts the mounted 2TB from the projector. Which is for me a bit of a long shot, also given the "old version" of the projector.

Having the external 2TB available via some type of network, or having the 2TB drive connected directly via a powered USB hub to the Firestick would be an easier solution IMO.
(2018-12-04, 00:13)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-03, 23:17)KILLERNADS Wrote: [ -> ]However, when i switch to the HDMI mode and go to the Firestick TV ES File Manager, i can't see any paths to my external HDD or even the internal projector storage. I can only see the Firestick storage paths.
Your projector will not magically transfer files to something like a Fire Stick via USB. Right now you are expecting the projector to automatically mount the 2TB drive (which it does), AND that your Firestick automatically mounts the mounted 2TB from the projector. Which is for me a bit of a long shot, also given the "old version" of the projector.

Having the external 2TB available via some type of network, or having the 2TB drive connected directly via a powered USB hub to the Firestick would be an easier solution IMO. 
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, as i want to keep all this setup as a portable solution adding another powered USB device is not an option. There was a few Network options in ES File Manager, i was hoping someone might know which one i need to use for the HDD and how i should set it up on the projector OS so that the Firestick OS can pick it up? 

If that's not a possibility then i was also thinking that this device might be able to make it work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMILAR-Micro-C...+USB+Power

Although with that cable im not sure if 2TB would work or if there is a restriction to how big the USB drive can be.
I'm not sure if that cable will help, but I'm not an Android phone guru. 2TB is not a problem for any OS/hardware. The problem/challenge lies with your Android projector. It runs Android 4.4, which is indeed old and also doesn't help. It will need to run a file server of some kind if you want to transfer files from an attached external USB hdd to the Firestick dongle. Right now, I'm guessing that connecting the external drive directly to the projector is the best option to watch the videos, provided the projector has a good-enough video player. You can use the Firestick for all its other features.
(2018-12-04, 12:50)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if that cable will help, but I'm not an Android phone guru. 2TB is not a problem for any OS/hardware. The problem/challenge lies with your Android projector. It runs Android 4.4, which is indeed old and also doesn't help. It will need to run a file server of some kind if you want to transfer files from an attached external USB hdd to the Firestick dongle. Right now, I'm guessing that connecting the external drive directly to the projector is the best option to watch the videos, provided the projector has a good-enough video player. You can use the Firestick for all its other features.
 Reading through some of the reviews on amazon for that OTG cable seems to suggest that people have got it working with external HDD's and even keyboards etc... Although i couldn't find any information on the hdd sizes. Also my external 2TB HDD is a portable one with no external power cable, its powered through the USB, so again im not sure if that would work with the firetv.

Yeh i need help in how i can setup the file server from ES FILE MANAGER, im sure there is a way for it to work!

As for running the files directly through the projector, i have kodi installed on the projector OS aswell, but its only kodi 16 or 17, its also painfully slow to do anything, especially navigate around, thats due to the projector limitations and not kodi. Which is why i wanted to get Kodi to work through Firestick tv instead.
Firstly I'd be very surprised if you manage to connect to a drive on the projector from the firestick, for the reasons Klojum gives.
I've just tried connecting a 2TB portable drive to one of my firesticks (I use  hubs with them) and the result was a 'Get lost if it's not formatted Fat32' message.
Power wouldn't be a problem - worst case you could use a Y cable - but Fat32 (presumably?) would.