Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO get Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control working using EventGhost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
jitterjames Wrote:yes XBMC2 is the correct plugin to use, but you need to assign button events from your ps3 remote to the desired actions for the XBMC2 plugin to work. It is not done automatically. The good news is that you can decide what buttons will do what, and you can even create key combinations, or have a single button press do multiple things (macro).

if you are going to use EventGhost you should first read this:

http://www.eventghost.org/docs/short_manual/index.html

you may also getting better support by posting your questions in the appropriate eventGhost forums (maybe). Certainly, if you have questions about the xbmc2 plugin your should post over there where the developer of that plugin will see it.
Thanks, that got it working.Big Grin
Just needed to drag and drop the event into the folder on the right.
anyone got it working with the latest releaseHuh

i got the latest version of eventghost installed..added plugin xbmc2 and paired the remote...

Now when i test any event ie Left,right it makes changes on xbmc but remote key presses dont do anything.. i m on windows 7.

please help
hardrock_121 Wrote:anyone got it working with the latest releaseHuh

i got the latest version of eventghost installed..added plugin xbmc2 and paired the remote...

Now when i test any event ie Left,right it makes changes on xbmc but remote key presses dont do anything.. i m on windows 7.

please help

sure it works fine for me. I am using r1462 which probably isn't the latest but it shouldn't really matter.

you say you added the xbmc2 plugin but you didn't mention if you added the ps3 plugin. You also didn't say anthing about the steps that you took to configure the plugin or what settings you are using.
jitterjames Wrote:sure it works fine for me. I am using r1462 which probably isn't the latest but it shouldn't really matter.

you say you added the xbmc2 plugin but you didn't mention if you added the ps3 plugin. You also didn't say anthing about the steps that you took to configure the plugin or what settings you are using.

I surely didnt add the ps3 plugin neither did i do any config... Sad..what config is needed? i loaded the xbmc plugin and paired the remote thats about it

Any info on how to config would be great!
Finally got it working.. added ps3 plugin and disabled all the other ones which are not being usded..including the examples etc. they were constantly interfering with my controls.
Thanks anyways
Really confused by this - installed the latest eventghost which seems to use a plugin called "XBMC2" rather then XBMC, which just leaves the console full of error's as it can't find the plug in

Looked at trying to change the config to use the new plugin but i just can't get my head around it (using zek's config v1 file)

Thanks
you'll probably need to reassign your ps3remote events to the xbmc2 macros, but you should post your question on the xbmc2 forum since the developer of that plugin may have some advice on how to do it more easily.
I've actually found using the EventGhost XBMC2-events a bit unreliable sometimes (occasionally they break in nightlies; or - as above - the plugin to communicate with XBMC itself changes!)

So I resorted to stripping out the XBMC2-events and using good old keyboard events instead (the keyboard almost always works when controlling XBMC Big Grin )

As a nice side-effect, you could also use the same config with apps like Hulu Desktop, which accept similar keyboard shortcuts - though the hulu plugin from the BlueCop repo makes that unnecessary.

Grab the config here. It's easy to change specific keys to your preferences in EventGhost itself, of course.

I'm very happily using EG via PS3 BD-Remotes to control two XBMC instances at home...
kreeturez Wrote:I've actually found using the EventGhost XBMC2-events a bit unreliable sometimes (occasionally they break in nightlies; or - as above - the plugin to communicate with XBMC itself changes!)

So I resorted to stripping out the XBMC2-events and using good old keyboard events instead (the keyboard almost always works when controlling XBMC Big Grin )

As a nice side-effect, you could also use the same config with apps like Hulu Desktop, which accept similar keyboard shortcuts - though the hulu plugin from the BlueCop repo makes that unnecessary.

Grab the config here. It's easy to change specific keys to your preferences in EventGhost itself, of course.

I'm very happily using EG via PS3 BD-Remotes to control two XBMC instances at home...

I use a mish-mash myself, some things I use the keyboard (up,down,left,right, escape), others I use the xbmc2 plugin. If you want to be sure to control XBMC without it having focus then the keyboard won't work.
I personally haven't had any problems with the xbmc2 commands getting through, though I don't install every nightly when it comes out... Nerd
jitterjames Wrote:I use a mish-mash myself, some things I use the keyboard (up,down,left,right, escape), others I use the xbmc2 plugin.
I had problems with the XBMC2 'Enter' doing selections at one point - which, as you might imagine, was kind of a deal-breaker for me at the time - and had to do what you mention: mix keyboard + xbmc2... Big Grin Though I'm pretty sure that was a nightly issue that's fixed by now!

jitterjames Wrote:If you want to be sure to control XBMC without it having focus then the keyboard won't work.

If you're using XBMC exclusively on a machine, my vote goes to using the keyboard alone. If you want to use it on a secondary monitor or the like - then yup: xbmc2 is the way to go...
If anyone of you are still struggling with the remote control sleep/sniff mode using the integrated Microsoft Windows Bluetooth stack, I've written something that you can test. Download Ps3RemoteSleep from the CodePlex project page.

Please read the description of the project. You can use EventGhost to call the application.
A few important notes:
- .NET 3.5 Framework required. Should already be part of Windows 7 installation.
- The application can take up to 15 seconds to process the hibernation and will quit when finished.
- Run the application with "/log" argument to show a small debug form. Note that the application does not quit when finished when running in this mode. If your Bluetooth dongle doesn't have a LED to see the traffic (and when the remote is sleeping) use this to diagnose.
- Must be run as either Administrator, or with UAC disabled.

Please leave me feedback either on Codeplex on this thread on whether it works for you or not. I tested it only on Windows 7 64-bit.

Then for those who would like to know about the inner workings:
This is a very crude workaround to getting the remote to sleep. The application works by disabling the HID service of the Playstation remote control and then re-enabling it, effectively "disconnecting" the remote. The PS3 remote, after disconnection will return to its low power draw sleep mode and then connect with a slight delay upon the next keypress.
Cheers and good luck.
Thanks riaanc for this utility. It does seem to put it into sleep mode after it reconnects. I just made a macro that calls this utility in EG, then added a timer to all of my remote commands. Each button press resets the timer and if no buttons are pushed before the timer runs out it calls the sleep macro. Not the most elegant solution but seems to work great so far. Thanks again!
in stead of adding a timer action to ALL of your commands just use one wildcard event
like PS3.Button.*

try this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<EventGhost Version="1544">
    <Macro Name="Timer: Start new or control running timer" Expanded="True">
        <Event Name="PS3.Button.*" />
        <Action>
            Timer.TimerAction(u'ps3Hibernate', 0, 1, 60.0, u'ps3.hibernate', False, True, 1, u'00:00:00')
        </Action>
    </Macro>
</EventGhost>
Thanks for testing it guys. I'm glad it worked for you. Or at least until someone can figure out how to use the low level bluetooth stack to hibernate the remote control. I'll be adding a few documentation pages to CodePlex project detailing how to setup the Event Ghost tree. Thanks jitterjames, I briefly searched for a wildcard event selection, but couldn't find it so I ended up copying and pasting the timer reset action to every button. I'll change it to the wildcard method and use that in the documentation.
Thanks for the wildcard info! Another thing I did to make it a little more seamless was to turn off the hardware connect/disconnect notification sounds in the Windows 7 sound settings and also turned off the bubble notifications for the add/remove hardware task tray icon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17