Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi not installing on Ubuntu 18.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm trying to reinstall Kodi on my Ubuntu 18.10 system because Kodi regularly freezes and requires to be killed by kill -9. However, apt now complains that the Kodi repository is lacking a Release file. It was working before, and I remember having installed Kodi on this system after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.10, so I suspect something changed in how Ubuntu validates repositories and Kodi's PPA is not complying to the new constraints. Any search I do on Google about this gives results about Ubuntu 18.04. Is it that Kodi just works on 18.04 and not 18.10. Why did it install in the past then? Is there anything else I can do other than trying to compile from source? Having a package manager in a Linux distribution is quite pointless if we need to bypass it by compiling stuff from source.
Something for our @wsnipex to have a look at?
Which PPA, and how did you add it?

The stable PPA with 17.6 does not have any packages for 18.10. The unstable PPA with the Kodi 18 rc does. Did you try that one?
The PPA i got the Release error with is http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu cosmic main. I disabled it because now each time I run apt update I get an error.
I tried sudo apt install kodi from Ubuntu 18.10 and got Kodi 17.6 installed, so I guess there is no need for a PPA anymore.
However, I suspect my freezing issue comes from that very version and cannot fix this unless I downgrade to Ubuntu 18.04, which I really don't want to do because it downgrades all other packages and forces me to clean install (no downgrade path in Apt).
No - install v18 rc2 - a ppa exists for 18.10 - 17.6 is EOL anyways. Make sure to remove all kodi packages before installing the named version from our unstable ppa.
LOL, I was just about to post the same thing.  I just built a new HTPC with a Ryzen 5 2400G, and I couldn't figure out why Ubuntu 18.10 kept installing the older Debian version of Kodi.  I wasn't paying attention to the errors about the PPA before I told it to install.

Since Kodi 18 supposedly dropped VDPAU, hopefully I can get everything working with VAAPI.
(2018-12-09, 18:15)EricBuist Wrote: [ -> ]I tried sudo apt install kodi from Ubuntu 18.10 and got Kodi 17.6 installed, so I guess there is no need for a PPA anymore.

There is. As fritsch said, install 18rc2 using the unstable ppa:

ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
But then, what's the point of having STABLE releases if we regularly need to fall back on Betas?
(2018-12-15, 21:13)EricBuist Wrote: [ -> ]But then, what's the point of having STABLE releases if we regularly need to fall back on Betas?

I think point is that for a stable machine you should be using a stable long term os. Not a short term release. Adding and maintaining packages for every release is daunting at best.

TLDR stick with LTS releases and you can't go wrong.
(2018-12-15, 21:13)EricBuist Wrote: [ -> ]But then, what's the point of having STABLE releases if we regularly need to fall back on Betas?

The switch of that PPA is not a fallback. You will get Kodi 18 RC from that ppa. By not using the unstable-ppa you will get Kodi 17.6 patched by Debian (which is kind of unsupprted in here). The problem currently is, that there's no stable Kodi 17.6 release for Ubuntu 18.10 from our PPA. So you have to use the unstable ppa to get something which is supported by us. If you are using Kodi 17.6 from the Ubuntu ppa, you might face other problems.

Anyway...If Kodi 18 is released you need to use the ppa:team-xbmc/ppa to get the final release of Kodi 18. I highly guess that Kodi 18 won't make it to the Ubuntu 18.10 repos. So you need to change that.

The unstable ppa (ppa:team-xbmc/unstable will receive the Kodi 18 final release as well, but you might risk an update to Kodi 19 beta by staying at that ppa.

So, to the question you asked....if you are using a non-LTS Ubuntu version, these are the problems you have to deal with as there is a Kodi 17.6 version from our PPA for the LTS version 18.04. That means, by using Ubuntu 18.04 you:

- will get a supported Kodi 17.6 version
- don't need to change any PPAs to get Kodi 18 final release (if you are using the Kodi stable PPA: ppa:team-xbmc/ppa)

I'm not saying that 18.10 is not good to use. Feel free to use it. But simply know about the things around it Wink