Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Experiment: How to get passthrough working on mobile device?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to get Kodi working with passthrough on my Mate 20 Pro, and I sort of managed to get it working by using an older version (AC3 and DTS with 16.1 Jarvis, AC3 with the shitty build) which uses the hacks that are not used in Krypton. The problem I have now is that when passthrough does "work", the sound is skipping, causing the AVR to make clicking noises.

The phone is connected via a USB-C to HDMI adapter, and the phone has a "desktop" mode which gives me a full desktop GUI from which I run Kodi (quite smoothly, apart from this issue).

PCM surround does not work either, which isn't very surprising. If I set speaker config to 5.1 or 7.1 (fixed) I still just get stereo sound. I'm guessing this is due to the firmware not being made with surround sound in mind (it's a phone after all).

Probably this is all due to the firmware and I guess there is little hope of it ever changing, but if there's a Kodi master out there who knows of some workaround or hack that may work (maybe an even older version of Kodi), I'd be stoked. Would love to have a fully functioning Kodi in my pocket at all times. I don't mind using older versions, I'm just after being able to play videos with surround, preferably with passthrough, but using PCM would also be acceptable. Or if there's another player out there that may work. I heard something about MX player, but haven't been able to get passthrough there either, although I haven't tried very hard yet.

Although I'm somewhat savvy with computers, I'm a Kodi novice, so if there is anything I can do to provide additional info just let me know.
Please, not everybody at once Smile

I understand these kinds of questions come up very often, but you'd have my eternal gratitude if you can help. I'll even tattoo you name or avatar on my arm Smile
Because is working with Kodi 16.1 so try Kodi 18 shitty builds.
I already did, but only got AC3 to partially work, but with the same sound skipping unfortunately.
Been reading some more, and I wonder if my problems might be partially caused by a cheap usb-c to hdmi adapter which doesn't pass on EDID information. That is, I don't know if it does because it's not listed anywhere whether it does or not, but it's among the cheapest kinds out there so.. Been looking for one that does pass on EDID info, but it's rarely listed as a feature. The only one I've found so far is this: https://www.extron.com/product/usbchd but it can't be bought because they don't sell to consumers.

Anyone know something about this?
What do I have to do to get some help? Someone must know something, even if what I want is impossible.
Your use-case is not supported as are my shitty builds. They were done to workaround broken vendor's devices in order that average joe who bought them for a lot of money is not directly fucked.
Okay, I understand. At least I got a response, haha! Thanks.

But I also kind of hoped that there was someone willing to share some knowledge anyhow (even if not official representatives) as I know people have had somewhat similar issues and there's a lot smart people out there. 

But you don't think my usb-c to hdmi adapter and edid might have anything to do with it at all?