Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question about supported vga
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I recently built an HTPC with old hardware, motheboard is an Asrock 939A790GMH with IGP HD 3300 vga (DX10 vga).
I got problems with 1080p movies, checking info during playback shows that DXVA is not used and CPU isn't sufficient to handle those movies.

So I checked the log and in fact I can read:
NOTICE: CRenderSystemDX::CreateDevice - Your video driver doesn't support DirectX 11 Video Acceleration API. Application is not be able to use hardware video processing and decoding

In wiki I read: GPU hardware must support at least level DirectX version 9.0c however the GPU software drivers must support the DirectX 11 Feature Level 9.1 (which means the DX11 API has been implemented in the GPU software driver to be compatible with DX9 hardware)
https://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

So I understand that vga is DX10 while drivers must support DirectX 11 Feature Level 9.1 to get DXVA.
My question is: can modded drivers fix this lack or it's an hardware limitation, so no possibility at all to get DXVA working?

Thanks!
That's sounds a bit like flogging an almost dead horse. 10(!) year old AMD Radeon HD 3300 graphics? Rolleyes

I understand people wanting to keep old hardware alive, but there are also limits to what Kodi can do for hardware support.

How about getting yourself a Raspberry Pi 3B+ setup, and getting decent video results on 1080p videos? It's a totally quiet solution, has proper support, at a fraction of the electricity costs.
Agree with you, totally.
System isn't mine, I set up for a friend of mine.

Anyway, I'd like a answer to my doubt.
Just to understand if it would be possible or not, if it's only a driver side problem or also an (unsolvable) hardware problem.
I'm not a technical video driver guru, so DXVA issues I'll have to pass on. And also AMD never was 100% kind to me in my Windows days, I'm more am Nvidia guy (using Linux now). But the right combination of video drivers and right Kodi version should produce a working Windows combo. It may take a crap-load of time and effort before you find one. If you even find one.

You could perhaps try an older version of Kodi (14, 15?), but I'm not sure if that is within your scope of reviving the old hardware to begin with. Since that old GPU has no affection for new video standards like HEVC and 10bit video, you might as well try older Kodi versions. (Not sure where to currently find them, though... :\ ) And they won't be able to scrape new videos into their Kodi library. The version gap is too large by now.
No, I have to stay with latest Kodi because I use a shared database, so I need all the same Mymovies and Mymusic db.
I'll try some test with different drivers to see if I fix this problem.

Never loved AMD drivers too.

Anyway thanks for your help!
If someone else has more infos about please share.
Ok fixed it.
It was definitely a driver problem.

For AMD legacy card owner: you shoud use driver version v8.970.100.9001 that you can download directly from windows update.
In my case Windows didn't download anything, maybe bacause I firstly installed official AMD drivers.

Anyway this is the link to Microsoft Catalog:
32 bit: http://au.v4.download.windowsupdate.com/...4a1d1a.cab
64 bit: http://au.v4.download.windowsupdate.com/...73ffd7.cab

Now I can use DXVA2 acceleration with no problem.
Thanks Klojum for helping!
Thread marked solved.