Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.6 on Win 8.1 new install crashed when trying to exit.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I am stepping away from mediaportal after 10 years of loyal support after I tried Kodi.  Right out of the box, Kodi played all my files and was super fast compared to mediaportal.  I have been pretty happy as I learn how to navigate Kodi.  One issue that has been present from the start is that when I try to exit from Kodi (either back to windows or restart my computer through Kodi) my computer hangs.  It has been this way since the first time I installed Kodi.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
-S
Try installing the latest RC3 of Kodi 18. Install it in a separate folder, and use the portable mode to run separately. See if that works better for you, as Kodi 17.6 itself is EOL already.
Thanks so much for the ideas.  So got the v18 rc3 installed in a new folder.  Followed the instructions here to launch form a shortcut in portability mode https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
My computer gave me and error "ERROR:Unable to create application. Exiting".  Changed it to a capital P and the application launched.  Not sure if it was in portability mode or not.  Tried to exit and Kodi froze.  I can bring up the task manager and end the application so it isn't hanging my entire machine.  Also I think it might have to do with it searching my movie and tv database looking for new files.  This seems to take a while given that I have a lot and it is across a slow network.  I'll stick with 18 rc3, but what can I try next to see why it hangs when exiting?

Thank you very much.
"Changed it to a capital P" then it launched as a regular install and you would now have most of the data-files internally and not limited to the portable folder.  If you can launch then let's have a log file of that "I think it might have to do with it searching my movie and tv database looking for new files" the log would show that, under settings>system>library turn off update library on startup, and let's see if it's stable and plays something.
Thanks again for the help.  When I go to setting>system all I see is
Display
Audio
Input
Internet access
Power saving
Add-ons
logging

I don't see where I can change the library or when it scans. :-(
(2018-12-28, 05:45)nzdreamer55 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see where I can change the library or when it scans.
Paragraph 2.1 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Library